How can I teach my cat to stop jumping on the dinner table?

My cat (casper) likes to jump on my dinner table and sleep on it, she wont move for nothing and i tryed to move the table in differnt places I even got her, her own cat bed and she still sleeps on the table, shoot I even when as far as getting a new…

My cat (casper) likes to jump on my dinner table and sleep on it, she wont move for nothing and i tryed to move the table in differnt places I even got her, her own cat bed and she still sleeps on the table, shoot I even when as far as getting a new…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I teach my cat to stop jumping on the dinner table?...

• How can I teach my cat to stop jumping on the dinner table?

How can I teach my cat to stop jumping on the dinner table? Other Pet Discussions
      My cat (casper) likes to jump on my dinner table and sleep on it, she wont move for nothing and i tryed to move the table in differnt places I even got her, her own cat bed and she still sleeps on the table, shoot I even when as far as getting a new table and she still sleeps on it.

How can I teach my cat to stop jumping on the dinner table? Other Pet Discussions
    • You can try a water bottle...that would be the cheapest way. Just give the cat a squirt and see what happens. Cats are VERY independent and will generally do what they want. They can be tought but it takes time.

• Try a water bottle or water gun. It doesnt hurt them just pisses them off. They hate water. Soon enough all you would have to do is shake it and they hear it and and run and then they don't get up their any more.

• yell at her and smack her off every time she does it. sounds harsh, but it needs to be done. i still don't see why the heck you thought moving the table or getting a new one would help. it makes no sense whatsoever.

• Keep a water gun handy; Hide and when she gets on the table, squirt her. She won*t know where it*s coming from but will get the message that the table is making her wet. It may take a few times, but cats are very intelligent animals. Also, I broke a cat of getting on my counter by putting cheap aluminum pie plates near the edge, everytime he jumped up there the plates fell and made noise. Cats hate loud noises.

• Cats will do what they want... but, yes, you can train them and you can train her to stay off the table.. at least, when you're home. We have 4 cats.. they are not allowed in the kitchen during meal prep or during meals. They are not allowed on the kitchen counters or table or living room tables. They have a bad place and that's the bedroom. They are trained to go to bed when we go to bed... and they get up when we get up.So, how did we do it. Well, several ways. First, get a squirter.. squirt gun.. squirt bottle. When they do something wrong.. something you're training them not to do, give them a shot with the squirter (actually, get a couple of different ones because they will learn the sound it makes when you pick it up). Make sure you have a 'bad place' for them when they're bad and put them there. Make them stay for 1/2 an hour or an hour. Then, go give them some love. Also, when the cat gets on the table, pick him up and then put him on the table and make that sound of shock like if a child does something bad.. yell "NO" and then pick them up and say it again. Then put him back on the table and do it again.. then give him a smack on the butt... do it a couple of times and then put him in his bad place.It will take some doing.. but this should work. We've done it with 6 cats.. including the 4 we have now...

• I know it sounds cruel, but spritz him with a water bottle, usually after 2 or 3 times of getting sprayed she will get the hint shes not supposed to be there, and keep the water bottle on the table for a few weeks to remind the cat its not welcome there. This is not as mean as it sounds, cats dont like water but its a training technique that should work, unless you have a weird cat that likes water....

• We always used a squirt bottle filled with water.. Whenever they did something wrong, we'd squirt them really really good until they got the idea that what they were doing wasn't allowed and they stopped... Its the best discipline for cats! also, add some loud "NO's!!!!" to the water.. they don't like that either.

• I'm going to be honest with you, I don't know if this will work or not because I have never had this problem. A friend of mine took a bowl about the size of a cake pan and filled it with pure ammonia. She said her cat jumped on the table once or twice, but the smell of the ammonia made her jump right off again. Now she just leaves the empty bowl on her table. I do know that my cat has jumped in my lap while I'm painting my fingernails, and as soon as he got a whiff of the polish remover he took off like a bullet! It might be worth a try. If your table it big, you might try a couple of bowls. I think it stings their nostrils and eyes but it won't hurt them because they don't get close enough. They hate it.