What is the best way to clip my dogs nails?

Any advice on the best tools to use for the job would be helpful as well. I need some step by step practical advice. She is a 40 pound vizsla mix.

Any advice on the best tools to use for the job would be helpful as well. I need some step by step practical advice. She is a 40 pound vizsla mix....
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best way to clip my dogs nails?...

• What is the best way to clip my dogs nails?

What is the best way to clip my dogs nails? Other Pet Discussions
      Any advice on the best tools to use for the job would be helpful as well. I need some step by step practical advice. She is a 40 pound vizsla mix.

What is the best way to clip my dogs nails? Other Pet Discussions
    • First get her used to the tool of choice. I like orange handled toe nail clippers that clip like scissors. Pull them out alot and treat her when she touches them. Then start touching them to her toes and treat her to show her they are good. Soon you will be able to clip the nail. It is step by step learning process to get them to learn that the clippers are not bad.

• If you have never done it before then take her to a groomer and ask to watch and see what she uses. It is very easy to hurt them doing that if you don't know what you're doing. I take mine to Petsmart to get it done. It's only $12 once a month and they clean the ears too. Well worth it.

• if she's a small breed dog, you should use regular household toenail clippers and clip only to the vein in her nail - NEVER clip her nail vein. if she has black nails and you can't see where the vein in her nail starts, go about halfway when you clip the nail and if it does start to bleed, just dab on some water and a little bit of white flour to stop the bleeding. you may want someone to help hold her down too, she may either bite or try to escape. when you're finally finished clipping her nails, reward her with some treats and she'll feel better.

• I have a Shiba Inu who is extremely sensitive to handling. I used to clip his nails and it was an ordeal for the both of us,Now I grind his nails. I use the Dremel cordless Minimite. I get him to lie down and go on his side, then I get someone else to feed him mackerel while I grind his nails. The big advantage to grinding is that you have better control how deep you go and there is almost no chance of getting the quick and causing bleeding.This site has very detailed instructions about nail grinding:http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/index.htmlLook to the left, there is a link on "How to Dremel Dog Nails".

• Okay first off, you should know where to cut the nail. The pink area inside the nail is called the nail bed, or quick, and contains the blood supply and nerves. Take care and try not to cut the quick. A dog's nail is shaped like a crescent. It is widest where it attaches to the skin and narrows to a curved point at the end. But if you do, to stop the bleeding, put flour on it or buy styptic. Place a tiny piece of tissue paper tightly against the end of the nail and hold it for a few minutes. Better yet, have some Quick Stop Powder available and put a small amount up against the bleeding end of the nail. This works right away. Or... do nothing. The bleeding will stop in about 5 to 7 minutes. Any more than that...give your veterinarian a call. 1. Spread each of the dog's feet and inspect the area between its toes. Clean away any dirt and debris with moistened cotton.2. Clip the nails carefully. Smooth any rough edges with an emery or nail file.Get yourself a RESCO nail trimmer, they seem to work the best. Or for large breeds and Basset Hounds (they have very big toenails) a sturdy Claw cutter works well. A dog's nails should be trimmed every two weeks. However, if they walk regularly walk on concrete, they will need less frequent trimming since the concrete wears down their nails. here is a more detailed method.1. Place the main part of the trimmer in the palm of your hand and the moveable part is controlled by your fingers. You should be able to see the small cutting blade that slides when you squeeze the handle.2. The nail should be cut from underneath, not from the top downward. Slide the opening over the end of the nail while staying in the whitish part of the nail. 3. To cut the nail, be decisive and make a smooth, quick squeeze on the handle while holding the trimmer steady. Don't try to "pop" the end of the nail off; it will fall away on its own.4. On the dark nails where you can't see any pink to know where the live part of the nail starts, you can check the end of the nail. The dead area usually is whitish and as you cut deeper into the end of the nail you will begin to see a dark area. This dark area is where the live part starts.hope this helped =]

• The absolute BEST way is using something like the peticure, which is an electric file type thing. It files away the nail in thin slices. With clippers you can either clip the quick, which we all know would hurt, o pinch down on it very hard and cracks the nail. If you don't want to spend the money on a peticure, you can also use a nail file.

• Guillotine-type nail clippers will do the trick, and have an emory board for filing any burs on hand after clipping. The 1st thing to do is to wrap your left arm around the dog and and take her paw into your left hand. Rub around on her paws to relax her while talking to her to get use to the position. Take your nail clippers in your right hand and starting with one nail slide the clipper along the bottom of the toe nail back and forth. You will feel a catch where the toe nail changes. You should cut in front of the catch. The blood vessel is behind the catch. Do this without clipping so you can just get the comfort of knowing where to cut, and so that your dog also feels comfortable with the tool. When ready slide the clipper until you feel the catch and cut just a little in front of it. When all nails are clipped you should file them with an emory board as they will be a little sharp and may have burs. You should not have to worry about bleeding if you stay in front of the catch, however it is always good to have a coagulant product (nail styptic powder) . Apply the powder to the tip of the quick where it was cut, and hold with moderate pressure. The bleeding often stops very quickly. Wipe away excess powder and re-check the "seal" often.If you are not comfortable cutting your dogs nails you may file them back and this rarely causes bleeding. Hope this helps :)