How do you know when your parakeet couple is nesting?

I need to know the signs, because I'm going to have to prepare for the babies. Could someone please give me information on taking care of the babies, the diet for the parakeets, the cage size, and any materials I might need? Oh, and how to know if my…

I need to know the signs, because I'm going to have to prepare for the babies. Could someone please give me information on taking care of the babies, the diet for the parakeets, the cage size, and any materials I might need? Oh, and how to know if my…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do you know when your parakeet couple is nesting?...

• How do you know when your parakeet couple is nesting?

How do you know when your parakeet couple is nesting? Other Pet Discussions
      I need to know the signs, because I'm going to have to prepare for the babies. Could someone please give me information on taking care of the babies, the diet for the parakeets, the cage size, and any materials I might need? Oh, and how to know if my parakeets really are going to lay eggs? 1. Outside nestbox2. Concaved wood block3. Pine shavings4. Vitamin Suppliment5. Fresh greens6. Iodine Salt spoolAnything else? Please help! I'm desperate!

How do you know when your parakeet couple is nesting? Other Pet Discussions
    • Nesting Requirements:A cage for a pair of breeding Parakeets should be a minimum size of 20" x 20" x 20", and should contain a wooden nest box that is at least 12" x 12". Some Parakeet breeders place wooden inserts into the bottom of their nest boxes to prevent splay legs. Proper nesting material, such as pine shavings, should be provided.Nutritional Requirements:Parakeets are hookbills so they should be fed a varied diet consisting of seed, high quality pellets, and plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. Breeding pairs should be provided with a cuttlebone and calcium supplement to ensure proper egg development and to help the hen recoup nutrients lost in the egg-making process.

• Make sure to get a cuticle bone. It is a great source of calcium to keep the egg shells hard and prevent cracking. I have 6 parakeets at home and 4 females 2 males and have about 16 eggs already laid. Remember to put spinach and lettuce!If you see your male feeding you female that is a sign of affection. When my birds were mating they followed each other. Never disturb the nest while a parakeet is inside the nest. Only when it is outside you may open the lid to check for eggs. I put VERY thin napkin strips and only black and white newspaper strips. Put a bowl with nesting material outside the nest so that the female can choose what she wants and carry it back to her nest. Both birds may be in the nest at the same time. That is another clue that the female is laying eggs. When your eggs hatch, observe th parents and make sure that they are feeding their chicks. The mother will feed until the chick is 3 weeks, then the male will feed until the baby is about 6 weeks. If the parents are not feeding, always have a parakeet baby food formula just in case! It comes like a powder and you will have to mix it with water at 100 degrees. If too hot you can burn a whole in the chicks crop. If too cold, the baby cannot digest it. You feed with a needle like thing. Put it into its mouth and the chick will swallow. I recommend watching you tube videos on how this is done because it is very tricky! remember, Only do this if the parent is not feeding. If not, you have to do this procedure.