How do I get my dog to drop the ball?

We play fetch, he loves to run after the ball or toy I throw for him, but he refuses to let it go after he brings it back.

We play fetch, he loves to run after the ball or toy I throw for him, but he refuses to let it go after he brings it back....
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my dog to drop the ball?...

• How do I get my dog to drop the ball?

How do I get my dog to drop the ball? Other Pet Discussions
      We play fetch, he loves to run after the ball or toy I throw for him, but he refuses to let it go after he brings it back.

How do I get my dog to drop the ball? Other Pet Discussions
    • You have to work with your dog and always use the same word to the command. Simple. Over time with teaching the pup it will drop the ball for you. I have two dogs and I have taught each of them how to drop the ball. It does work just have patients. It is like a child, you have to tell it over and over and over again using the same word. good luck!

• I take it from my dogs mouth and say "leave it", then sit, if they listen and don't jump for the ball I say "good". Then I'll throw the ball-- this is their treat. If they jump for the ball, I say "no" and make them sit until they calm down and then try again. Work on this for short periods daily until they learn. Eventually, they learn to drop it, they begin to understand they're supposed to give it back to you in order for you to throw it. Just have fun with them!