What is the best type of dog can I run with, be good with family, and is between 25 & 50 pounds?

I am really looking for a dog with a good temperment. It would also be nice to have one that doesn't shed much, but that may be something I can compromise on since all dogs shed in some way.

What is the best type of dog can I run with, be good with family, and is between 25 & 50 pounds?

I am really looking for a dog with a good temperment. It would also be nice to have one that doesn't shed much, but that may be something I can compromise on since all dogs shed in some way....
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best type of dog can I run with, be good with family, and is between 25 & 50 pounds?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the best type of dog can I run with, be good with family, and is between 25 & 50 pounds?

What is the best type of dog can I run with, be good with family, and is between 25 & 50 pounds? Other Pet Discussions
      I am really looking for a dog with a good temperment. It would also be nice to have one that doesn't shed much, but that may be something I can compromise on since all dogs shed in some way.

What is the best type of dog can I run with, be good with family, and is between 25 & 50 pounds? Other Pet Discussions
    • Border Collies...those dogs love to please and have the energy to keep up with you.Remember they would herd sheep so they are use to activity and love a challenge. Give them a job to do...like carry a pack with your water.Border collies are very friendly and loving.

• Greyhounds love to run and are good pets. They have short hair. The racing industry kills them by the thousands and thousands. Once the dog gets too old to win (about 4 years), it gets the needle. If you have a greyhound track nearby, you can find out there how to get one. Otherwise, try searching the net, asking your vet, and asking the animal shelter.

• try a bishon they dont shed at all and you can run all you want with them. i dont know how much they weigh. They are really small and cute white doggies!!!

• I would go for a Springer Spaniel, or a Keeshond. Compact big hearted medium dogs. Here are pics.just a minute....>>http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official_s&q=springer%20spaniel&btnG=Search&percentage_served=100&sa=N&tab=wihttp://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&q=keeshond&btnG=Search Both are steady tempered and easily trained.

• Border Collie! They need a lot of exercise, are very intelligent, are generally very healthy dogs and will bond well with your family. I love them, it's my favourite breed! BUT: They will be unhappy and will destroy stuff if they're left alone a lot or don't get enough exercise. You need to be firm with them (as they're very smart dogs), and they may try and herd your kids, cars and animals.Mine don't shed much, but I know that some do a bit. If that's a big worry, you can get a smooth coat (a short haired) one. I prefer long or medium coat.If you find that it's the right breed for your needs I recommend it strongly :)More info here:http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/breeds/Border_Collie.htmGood luck finding a dog, I hope you get some great runs together :)

• golden retriever. Ours is an angel. never has dug holes, torn up anything. Sweetest and most loyal dog ever. All they want to do is please their buddies (owners). And I have three rough & tumble boys.

• No no no no to the border collies! They DO shed a bit, but aside from that, they are VERY smart. They don't make good family dogs unless they have A LOT of mental and physical exercise..and I mean a lot!! The dog will destroy your house if it doesn't have a job to do!Try looking at some dogs from the sporting group. They are all athletes, so they'll be able to keep up on a run, but they also tend to be a bit more agreeable as family pets. Most of these dogs will meet your size criteria as well. (Check out the Nova Scotia Duck-Tolling retriever, the Brittany and some of the other spaniels on this page.)http://www.akc.org/breeds/sporting_group.cfm

• Some people have mentioned that a Border Collie will destroy things if bored - this is true for ALL dogs!!! Dogs are loyal and become very attached to their owners and will become destructive if left alone for long periods of time.Bichons are not good for running. They are small and non-athletic. A Beagle might be okay but they are somewhat difficult to train. Greyhounds are natural runners but off the track they are very docile and not too active. Keeshonds are too bulky for running.I actually would suggest a Border Collie, they are very active, extremely intelligent, and have a good temperament. Golden Retrievers also have excellent temperaments and are great family dogs and would be good to run with. You may also want to look into some Pointer or Spaniel breeds.

• I would also say Border Collie. We have one who is 9 yrs old He loves playing with the kids and has a great temperment around everyone. We have also had some plain mutts or mixed breeds that were great family dogs. Try checking at a shelter to see if they have anything that you bond with, sometimes you just know when you've found the one that's right for you. Plus you'll be giving them a second chance just because they are in the shelter dosen't mean they are bad dogs.