What is the best way to properly start a saltwater aquarium?

I have a 40 gallon tank that was previously freshwater and want to get saltwater started instead. How do I treat the water properly, what materials should I have before I fish the tank; which fish are the best to start with?**NOTE** Just to clarify: the…

I have a 40 gallon tank that was previously freshwater and want to get saltwater started instead. How do I treat the water properly, what materials should I have before I fish the tank; which fish are the best to start with?**NOTE** Just to clarify: the…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best way to properly start a saltwater aquarium?...

• What is the best way to properly start a saltwater aquarium?

What is the best way to properly start a saltwater aquarium? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a 40 gallon tank that was previously freshwater and want to get saltwater started instead. How do I treat the water properly, what materials should I have before I fish the tank; which fish are the best to start with?**NOTE** Just to clarify: the 40 gallon aquarium was a present brand new two years ago and I have been doing freshwater myself, so I do have those basics down :)

What is the best way to properly start a saltwater aquarium? Other Pet Discussions
    • get fresh saltwater from the sea. if that is not available you have to mix the salt solution with water and aerate it for two weeks until you introduce the fishes.start with fishes available locally which is not expensive. learn from it.as soon as you learn things, you can go and try new kind of fish.

• make sure you buy a book on saltwater tanks. they can be difficult to keep, or at least it was for my sister's husband. really pretty once you get it going though. a good pet store will have salt water that you can buy. i don't know about what kind of fish are best to start with. your local pet store or wherever you get your fish from should be able to give you some advice on that.

• Hello there...Well I will give you a link and hopefully after that you will know more less in what are you getting in to.Saltwater is AWESOME but we need to read way more than fresh water.http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=fc4b5a6b3400213cfb9c73c753a624fd&threadid=813713If you don't find this helpfull, please navigate on the forums and you will find all your answears.Take [email protected]

• if you have the money, go to the specialized fish market and get someone who'll consult you for this...i, no longer have an aquarium, because it's a big time money pit... lots of investment, no output...also, who's going to feed the fish when you're out of town??? make sure you have all of the answers till you make a huge financial decision.

• I see the first answer is in part mine as well but I offer it anyway as a most enjoyable experience for me. I make my own aquariums, or did at one time. My most fond was approx 35 gal. I got the water from the Atlantic, along with Queen Angels, etc. My greatest joy however was in the abstract but entertaining critters. Coral worms, salt water hermits, Urchins, anemones, etc. I filled the tank from cleaned 5 gal. drums, with enough natural sea water to sustain life. I filtered it well, areated it well, and sat back to enjoy it more than TV. Initially I marked the water level on the outside of the tank, then monitored it, and as it evaporated, added distilled water to the line. I never used other chemicals. I nerev monitored salt content, and never had a single loss, in more than 3 years of the orig. critters, other than by natural causes. I even got to the point where the anemones and Hermits would take Tuna, canned in water, from my fingers in hand feeding I had a natural beach sand base as well, which offered up a great surprise. I had a "bubbler: in the tank, and had picked a piece of coarl that had dislodged from its original base inthe ocean. I thought to use it merely as decorative, but found that the sand blowing/flaoting around, brought out the life still in it. I began to see the tubing effects caused by the worms inhabiting the piece.rev. stevenNot fer nuttin, but TY for the recollection

• Here's a couple things more :1) Do not use your own mix of salt and water : Our table salt has iodine in it and it will kill the fishes.2) You will need a new system of filtration I'm pretty sure.3) Overall, everything to get a saltwater aquarium is much more complicated and expensive then a freshwater, from the fishes to the maintenance. Be prepared :)

• well i dont know all the specifics but i can tell you that petco sells ocean water and also some stuff to make your own ocean water! thought about just getn some for myself, miss the ocean sooooo much!

• The best way to start is to buy the salt for the type of aquarium you want to have. If you want snails, crabs, ect you're starting a reef tank and you need to buy a salt for reef tanks (it has moore calcium) if not you can buy instant ocean (another popular brand). The bag will have mixing instuctions, but don't forget to buy a hydrometor and your basic dechlorinator (just like you used for your fresh water tank).If you are going with a reef tank (much nicer) you will need to purchase some live rock from the pet store. (Just ask they sell it by the lb.) After you have mixed and added water choose some decorations for the tank. Fish need to be able to find their own nich in the take so they will need hiding places. Lighing is also important - you may want to purchase a corallife light if you are plannig on growing plants of anykind (this also helps with keeping your live rock helthy.) There can be many complications when starting a saltwater tank so many people suggest starting the tank with damesles thees are the bargin salt water fish and you can usually get about 5 for $20. They will help start the tank cycling (building and up nitrogen and reducing ect.) Be careful when you are ready to add new fish though -they are aggressive. Some stores will buy them back from you though when you are ready to step up and buy the nicer fish. Every 2 weeks for the first 3 months have the water checked by your pet store (most do it for free). After your tank has cycled (the store will know through testing the water) you can start adding the more expensive fish (be prepared for sicker shock). One final tip is DON'T ADD MORE THAN 2 FISH AT A TIME!! Often we get excited when we can add the "nicer fish" and we want them all - rule of thumb wait a month between each stocking trip and only get 2 fish at a time. You're not looking at being able to have more than 8 fish in a 40 gallon tank anyway. (Add more snails, hermit crabs, anenomes, and corals for more to look at.) OH! and make sure you do partial water changes often! I do it everyother week if not weekly (just 5 gallons or so.) GOOD LUCK!

• Asidewell, our Biology professor would bring several 5 gallon bottles full of sea water which he acquired while visiting at South Padre Island by the Gulf of Mexico, He would replace the water in a fish tank that he kept in our Biology Classroom.We had several species of salt water fish, snails, and other marine life in the tank. Jose

• go to a pet store like pet-co(they helped alot w/ my 1st fish tank) and get a starter aquarium or ask an employee to help you pick out one that is right for you, you can bring in water to get it tested to make sure it is safe for fish.