What is the best way to properly start a saltwater aquarium?

I have a 40 gallon tank that was previously freshwater and want to get saltwater started instead. How do I treat the water properly, what materials should I have before I fish the tank; which fish are the best to start with?**NOTE** Just to clarify: the…

What is the best way to properly start a saltwater aquarium?

I have a 40 gallon tank that was previously freshwater and want to get saltwater started instead. How do I treat the water properly, what materials should I have before I fish the tank; which fish are the best to start with?**NOTE** Just to clarify: the…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best way to properly start a saltwater aquarium?...

• Well I was heading to my bed .But I have to answer this question first.I live by the salt water and I had the same idea.It went well for a year. I had a 1pound lobster as a experiment.I had to clean the water every 2 weeks.I had a cover on mine with a light. well first that all got rusty and caught a fire good thing I was home.

• There is so much experience on this page. I learned a lot. I prefer ed fresh water. At one time I had 13 tanks set up. I was breading fish and the lot. I read a lot about Saltwater tanks. The idea of salt water from the bay has its set backs, disease. The main thing that kept me from exploring salt water is the up front expense. Protein skimmer, Instant ocean, special rocks, and special filters are all spendy. The fish are rather spendy also.

• You must go to a fish store, get the saltwater from him. They will tell you what fish to get and what else to do. It's a big jump from a freshwater tank, more expensive equipment(filters, lights, fish, etc), more work, and more care but the tank will be 100% more clean and beautiful. You should let the new saltwater sit for 2 months before you introduce fish unless the environment has been tested and deemed ideal. GOOD LUCK.

• my advice would be to echo everyone else's input. but i would like to ask a question that no one else has. do you have freshwater aquarium experience? you say you have a 40 gallon tank that used to be freshwater, but you could've picked that up for $5 at a garage sale. become proficient at keeping a freshwater aquarium first---then, if you're still interested in a saltwater or marine aquarium, go for it. it takes a LOT more work and water testing and analysis to make a go of it. with a freshwater tank you keep track of your ph, temperature, nitrates, filtration and oxygen. with a marine tank add in salinity at the very least. i thought about setting up a marine tank at one time, but after reading about it and talking to people that had them, i've decided to just keep my Oscar 'Morticia' happy in her 55 gallon freshwater tank.

• Press primer 3 times (no more than 3 or you might flood it), move choke to cold start position, grip start cord handle and pull firmly in an upward direction. If it doesn't start repeat operation until it does .....

• A marine tank is more challenging than a freshwater tank. Learn the basic principles of aquarium keeping by first maintaining a freshwater tank. You will be more successful with a saltwater tank if you already know the basics of aquarium care.

• HiIam a great marine hobbyist and it is good to know there r people like me around the globe.The best way to start a Marine Aquarium is to get the water from the sea(preferably get 20 feet from the shore) Fill about 4inches of coral sand and fill the water. Install a tubelite(should be a powerful one) about 100 watts. install a powerfilter and leave the tank as it is for a month.Let the lighting be for about 8hrs a day cos u need to really get algae for a marine aquarium as it balances the water and the water needs to get set.I wud advice u to start with CLOWN FISH,ANEMONE and DAMSELS.This combination is a real cute combination and i feel u wud love it.ALL THE BEST!!!!CHEERS

• i have had a saltwater tank for over 10 years now. I have a local pet store, locally owned and operated, who have helped me out tremendously through the years. Its always good to find someone like this and they will take you step by step through the process. Just know that it takes a while to get one started until you can actually put fish in it. PATIENCE is the key to a saltwater aquarium.Oh yea..someone said up about that starfish bite..no they dont!

• It ain´t easy to upgrade to saltwater.The best advice should come from your fish seller, they will give you the best starting tips based on their experience. Books are a good way to learn as well.You´ll need:Saltmix; Purified Water (low on phosphates); Sea sand; Live Rock(in case you want a reef); Bacteria (another mix to prepare a biological sand filter); Hydrometer (to read the salinty of your aquarium); A test kit (nitrites,nitrates, amonnia,ph), Light (actinic and metal halyde); if you have powerheads and cascade filter they should work; UV Sterilizer (in case you really REALLY care for your fish);Filter media or buffers if your ph is low; and most important of all, a Protein Skimmer.This is not a complete list, but the basic equipment for your aquarium. Upgrading, even if you have some freshwater stuff is very, VERY EXPENSIVE. Anyway, it should pay itself with time, also, the expression on the people´s face that take a look on your tank is priceless.Another big tip: Once you set your aquarium, wait 3 months to add your fish, get cheap ones first so you dont mind if they die (Black mollies or damsels), cuz believe me, you´ll have dead fish not until your tank is fully balanced.Hope this works for you.

• First thing you need to do is to decide what type of tank you will set up. Is it fish only? Will you have invertebrates? Reef tank? From there you need to decide on what type of filtration will best meet your needs. For saltwater tanks I would recommend a protein skimmer or a wet/dry system. A combination is great, and you can even add a mechanical filter to be safe. Research these filtration types and see which would be the most effective.Next thing is to get a suitable lighting system for the type of tank you wish to set up. Fish-only tanks you won't need to worry too much. If you are putting in "live reef" rocks or plants you will need to find a system that will supply the right amount of light.From there your neighborhood pet store should be able to set you up with artificial sea salt, a hydrometer, and some hardy starter fish to get going. Be sure to let your tank circulate and cycle before adding your fish in.My suggestion is to start with a simple fish only tank. Once you get the tank stable and running for a while, expand by adding more exotic invertebrates and some live rocks. Most people answering have something to contribute so read (almost) everyone's answers. If you are serious about the hobby, you won't want to set up a fresh water tank again.