How do you get two adult cats to accept each other?

I just adopted an 8 1/2 year old female and i already had a 7month old boy. She keeps chaseing him and wanting to fight... anyone got any tips to help our newest furry family member settle in? Thanks!

I just adopted an 8 1/2 year old female and i already had a 7month old boy. She keeps chaseing him and wanting to fight... anyone got any tips to help our newest furry family member settle in? Thanks!...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do you get two adult cats to accept each other?...

• How do you get two adult cats to accept each other?

How do you get two adult cats to accept each other? Other Pet Discussions
      I just adopted an 8 1/2 year old female and i already had a 7month old boy. She keeps chaseing him and wanting to fight... anyone got any tips to help our newest furry family member settle in? Thanks!

How do you get two adult cats to accept each other? Other Pet Discussions
    • I have 6 cats all males if i might add. The best solution to your problem will be to get them both fixed if they are not all ready fixed. As well as when u feed them feed them together in the same room at the same time. and when u pet one of them pet both of them together. like one with ur right hand and the other with left hand. if this does not work out u will have to get rid of one of them. good luck

• First of all, you shouldn't introduce them right away. For a couple days, keep the older cat in separate small rooms, introducing her to the house bit by bit. This will help her feel more comfortable, and secure in her new surroundings. Choose one room as a safe room, and furnish it with water, a litter box, bed, scratching post, some toys and food. Your other cat should not be allowed in here.Next, make sure that you still give lots of attention to your first cat, it will help them feel like they aren't competing for attention, and therefor he won't be as likely to fight back. likely next time you go in to play with your new cat, rub a clean rag around her face and body for her to play with. Make sure to get lot's of her scent. Do the sam thing with your old cat. When you feed them, take each rag with the different cat's scent and put it under their food bowl. This will help them associate the other cat's scent with something positive-food. Lots of little feedings each day will help them get used to the smell more quickly. Be sure to renew the scent on the rags each dayNext, you can feed them in closer proximity. Keep your new cat in her "safe" room with the door firmly closed, and place each cat's dish on their side of the door. Be sure to feed them at the same time. Once they both eat with no growling or hissing, you can move to the next level of the introduction.Close your first cat in a room he likes to frequent, making sure he has water, some favorite food and a litter box. Let your new cat out to explore the house. After a few hours, put her back in her room and let your first cat out. He will probably hiss and fuss when he smells another cat's scent in HIS territory. Again, be patient and praise him when he acts calmly. Repeat this activity at least once a day until both cats seem comfortable.Before you let the cats have full access to one another, let them come face to face in a safe situation. Use two hard plastic doorstops to jam the door to the new cat's room open a mere 2-3 inches. Check that the door can't be pushed open any further, and that neither cat can get its head through the opening. The object is to give them a chance to swat paws at one another and even go nose to nose without the opportunity for full body contact. Feed each cat on their respective side of the door. Once they no longer hiss or growl at one another, you can try playing with both of them in the same room.Remember, it can take up to 12 weeks for cats to get used to each other. Give them time, and don't give up. If it still doesn't work, try talking to your local animal shelter, or an animal trainer for help.