How do I get rid of fleas on a nursing mom cat, who is allergic to flea collars?

I can't give her front line or the like because the kittens will get into it. They are only 3 or 4 weeks old, so it'll be several more weeks before I can get them new homes, and she'll be infested by then. The kittens will be too, which will make it…

How do I get rid of fleas on a nursing mom cat, who is allergic to flea collars?

I can't give her front line or the like because the kittens will get into it. They are only 3 or 4 weeks old, so it'll be several more weeks before I can get them new homes, and she'll be infested by then. The kittens will be too, which will make it…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get rid of fleas on a nursing mom cat, who is allergic to flea collars?...

• How do I get rid of fleas on a nursing mom cat, who is allergic to flea collars?

How do I get rid of fleas on a nursing mom cat, who is allergic to flea collars? Other Pet Discussions
      I can't give her front line or the like because the kittens will get into it. They are only 3 or 4 weeks old, so it'll be several more weeks before I can get them new homes, and she'll be infested by then. The kittens will be too, which will make it harder to get them a home too.

How do I get rid of fleas on a nursing mom cat, who is allergic to flea collars? Other Pet Discussions
    • Flea collars really don't work very well anyway. I would suggest going to the vet and purchasing Frontline products, that's what we used and it worked very well, after many other products failed us. Go to their website "frontline.com" and it will educate you very well on fleas and their cycles. Hope this helped.

• You can give them a flea bath and then use a flea comb to get rid of the rest of the fleas. You can also get a flea treatment from your vet for the momma cat. In my experience flea collars do not work, and the only thing that has worked has been frontline, advantage, or meticulous bathing and flea combing.

• PLEASE CALL YOUR VET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will KILL the babies if you use anything other than what the vet suggests. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Also, CAPSTAR is safe to give the mama and babies and kills all adult fleas, but is only effective for 24-30 hours. You use than and wash the bedding in hot water...and do treatment your vet suggests.

• I would suggest getting Frontline or Advantage. You can use it on the mama cat, and if her kittens are still close to her, still nurse off her it should kill the fleas on them as well, trust me.. we do it every time one of the mama cats get pregnant. It's only about 15$ a tube at a vet or maybe the pet store, but it works like a charm, and will work for a whole month (guarantee). So them woudl be your best choice, I'm not sure which one we use the most, but I know they both work, it's probably frontline. Don't waist money on cheap flea medicine, it never works like it says... 15$ is good quality though, its worth it.

• Yes, you can use Frontline Plus on your nursing mother kitty. Here is the link from the company.To ease your worries, seek advice from your vet as to which is the safest product to use. The vet can also recommend a safe product for the kittens.Also to help battle the fleas, change her bedding frequently..daily if your schedule allows..and wash with the warmest water for the type of material and a good detergent. You do not need bleach. Dry in the warmest temperature for the material you washed.Purrs to you and kitties.

• Flea collars don't work - they only kill the occasional flea that walks across it, and cause skin irritation on many cats. A vet-prescribed flea treatment like Advantage or Frontline is safe to use - on the mom cat only. Do NOT use any kind of flea treatment on the kittens. By flea treating mom, you'll provide protection for the kittens as well. Change the bedding daily, and wash it in hot water with bleach added. This will kill the fleas and eggs in the bedding. If there are fleas on the kittens, you can use a flea comb on them. The Frontline/Advantage will take a couple of days to work, so don't expect an instant kill of all of the fleas. And if she's got fleas, she's likely got tapeworm as well so you really should be taking a stool sample to the vet to confirm that, and get her a worming medication. She needs to feed the kittens, not the worms :o/ And also make her a spay appointment for 4 weeks from now. This way her appointment will be ready and waiting for her once the kittens no longer need her milk.

• hiI went to the vet 3 days ago with this and i was prescibed a frontline spray which is suitable on young kittens- mine were 6 days old. We used it on them all and a day later there were dead & dying flea's galore. the kittens needed watching for a while & they choked a little and i was beginning to worry but several days later all are flea free and fine !