How can I keep the cat litter in the litter box?

I put a tray under it to catch some of the litter, but it is not big enough. Is there something I can put around it, as well as under it? I am trying to avoid getting litter on the wall, as well as in the carpet.Real answers only, or I will report you.

How can I keep the cat litter in the litter box?

I put a tray under it to catch some of the litter, but it is not big enough. Is there something I can put around it, as well as under it? I am trying to avoid getting litter on the wall, as well as in the carpet.Real answers only, or I will report you....
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I keep the cat litter in the litter box?...

• Well first, give up the idea of keeping 100% of the litter in the box. Cats just have this thing about kicking it all over, it seems.It helps to get a covered litter box. The door doesn't really help, since the litter is coming out along with the cat. My cat broke off the door the first day... guess she wasn't impressed. It also helps to get a certain type of mat for in front of the opening. There's a few types available at the pet store. Our litter box is right in the bathroom, no way to get around it easily. So I put all the litter-catching rugs on the floor and walked barefoot on them till I found one that felt the best to stand on, and that's how I picked ours. Be sure to take it outside and shake it out from time to time, so litter doesn't build up in it.I also have a robotic vacuum, so I make sure it goes into the bathroom daily. Before I got it, I swept the room daily. That sounds like a pain, but really, it takes all of 2 minutes, and it picks up all the hair and fuzz that gets on the floor, and there's just something about a clean floor that makes even a disorganized room feel a bit cleaner. And if litter's getting stuck to the wall, just sweep the wall first.One friend of mine built a little thing out of pvc pipes and some fabric covering it, to make fabric walls, so the cat had to walk in a U-turn, like you have to do in some public restrooms, and that helped get the litter out of the cat's paws before he got out of the little tunnel, but it also took up a lot more room than just a litter box and a rug. And it looked kind of strange. But hey, if it drives you nuts enough, it might be worth it.And if nothing else works, try other brands of litter, until you find one that at least doesn't hurt to step on. Some of them, like those crystals, can be painfully sharp.

• petsmart has a new litter box. Looks like a regular rubbermaid tote, but there's a hole in the top, and the cat has to jump out of the box vertically. I don't have it, but a friend of mine loves it. You can look at it at petsmart.com