How can I get my indoor cat to be more of an outdoor cat?

My cat will go outside but only for a little while. I've tried to put her out but she always sits by the sliding glass door like she's waiting to come back in. Any suggestions on how to get her to enjoy being outdoors?

My cat will go outside but only for a little while. I've tried to put her out but she always sits by the sliding glass door like she's waiting to come back in. Any suggestions on how to get her to enjoy being outdoors?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I get my indoor cat to be more of an outdoor cat?...

• How can I get my indoor cat to be more of an outdoor cat?

How can I get my indoor cat to be more of an outdoor cat? Other Pet Discussions
      My cat will go outside but only for a little while. I've tried to put her out but she always sits by the sliding glass door like she's waiting to come back in. Any suggestions on how to get her to enjoy being outdoors?

How can I get my indoor cat to be more of an outdoor cat? Other Pet Discussions
    • Letting your cat outdoors is a bad idea. Cats that go outdoors generally have a shorter lifespan. There is a huge risk of getting hit by cars, attacked by dogs or other animals including cats. Other outdoor cats often carry and transmit (through fights or contact) diseases such as FIV-feline version of HIV, and Feline leukemia- both are untreatable and ultimately decrease the lifespan of you cat a great deal. Injuries and illnesses also mean more money spent at the vet and a lower quality of life overall. Also the cat will likely pick up fleas and bring them into the house, once fleas are established in the house it is hard to get rid of them. Your cat doesn't sound that interested in going outside anyways, probably scared, she is used to living indoors and would not survive well outside since she is not used to it. Cats don't need to go outside to have a fulfilling life, she just wants to be inside where its warm and safe.

• Find somehing outside your cat likes to do. Mine likes to play in a bush in my front yard, and he will play in that. The more he goes out the harder it s to get him to come in.

• Allthough most cats love the outdoors, you could be putting your cat at risk by moving him/her outdoors. Especially is they've been indoors for a long time. Usually it's the other way around. You would usually bring outdoor cats indoors. It all depends on how much you love your cat. If you really loved them as much as you should then you would be fearful of having them outdoors.....Goodluck.

• she is happier and safer insideif you want you can build a cat section next to your house, using a window to allow her to have access to this area, she will feel sheltered there - say under a deck or in the area between your house and fence