How can I get my cat two stop peeing and pooping on clothes and towels?

I just adopted a cat, but I can get her to stop using the bathroom on towels and clothes. She uses the litter box every once in the while but then she will stop. I have two other cats also but they use the litter box. I clean the litter box twice a day.

I just adopted a cat, but I can get her to stop using the bathroom on towels and clothes. She uses the litter box every once in the while but then she will stop. I have two other cats also but they use the litter box. I clean the litter box twice a day....
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I get my cat two stop peeing and pooping on clothes and towels?...

• How can I get my cat two stop peeing and pooping on clothes and towels?

How can I get my cat two stop peeing and pooping on clothes and towels? Other Pet Discussions
      I just adopted a cat, but I can get her to stop using the bathroom on towels and clothes. She uses the litter box every once in the while but then she will stop. I have two other cats also but they use the litter box. I clean the litter box twice a day.

How can I get my cat two stop peeing and pooping on clothes and towels? Other Pet Discussions
    • Cats often do this to transfer their smells and mark territory. Particularly clothes and towels as they have the owners scent on them. Luckily you can wash them, so the odor does not remain for her to go back there. I can only suggest making sure each cat has it's own litter. Or if the older two share and it's ok then give her, her own box. Another very good suggestion I once read was to to the following. take a towel (clean one) and rub the older cats, then rub the new cat then back to the older cat. It does help transfer the smells to each cat, therefore making them appear more familiar.

• the litter must smell a little of their poop, put ur cat near the litter when she is close. and take all the other stuffs away from her. let the litter have a mild smell. she will get used to it.

• It is always a good idea to have physical causes such as illness ruled out when a cat is having litter box problems, so please take the cat to the vet to make sure there is nothing wrong. After that, it kinda sounds like you have one litter box for all your cats. In reality, it would be best to have at least four. Each cat needs their own, plus one more because some cats do not like to pee and poop in the same spot. This cat's issue may also be a matter of the kind of litter - some cats have distinct preferences about the feel and smell of the litter.

• First, you might want to take your cat to the vet because going outside of the litterbox can be a sign of a serious problem. My cat started doing it when he had a urinary tract blockage, which is an extremely serious and potentially fatal problem. If you determine that it's definitely a behavioral and not physical problem, you might want to consider getting a second litterbox because sometimes cats are territorial about their litterboxes. Another thing you may want to try is a product called Feliway, it is a little expensive, but pretty effective product that helps cats to stop peeing to mark their territory. Last thing - make sure everything she's peed on is cleaned up super well, you might even want to consider special cleaners in order to fully remove any scent from his urine. Cats will often go back to places they've already urinated to urinate again if they can still smell it.

• Changing this habit is combination of health check and discussion with the vet, changing your storage methods for towels and clothing, limited access to areas of the house that might be targets, positive reinforcement, and changing things related to the litter box. For a long time you will to have to be sure all towels and clothing are hung somewhere or closed away. Not on your bed, or laying flat on any surface that will allow the cat to do it's business on them. I'm not saying that to imply you're not tidy but basically if they are flat it's an opportunity for it to happen. Do not give you cat access to your laundry area with clothes sitting out or the bedroom unless you're present. Your sheets could be next if you allow easy access once the other desirable items are gone. Some cats will start looking to the litterbox once the other objects disappear as an option though. Nature's Miracle Orange power can save your soiled items. Rinse them, Use a few tiny dots of Dawn and gently rub in and rinse until soap is gone, then Pre spot and soak the items 20 minutes and wash separate from other unsoiled clothing. I'd suggest hang drying to check for stains in case they didn't come out so you can retreat. After it hits the dryer it's baked in. Once you've verified the cat does not have health problems with the vet start trying different litters. I am not a fan of clumping litter but sometimes cats just prefer a softer feel to the litter not unlike your clothes so clumping litter or another softer feel litter might help.To illustrate how much a soft texture can be loved by some cats: Some of my cats were delighted when I bought a fuzzy soft throw rug for my kitchen it was perfect for peeing. Without hesitation one cat first rolled around joyfully on it, got up dug around in it and peed right in front of me he clearly loved the feel of it. You may have to experiment with having more litter boxes in different locations. Some cats like privacy others feel more secure if they can see who's coming especially other cats. For one of my cats a secure location was a surface higher above the other cats litter boxes where she could see them coming because the other cats were attacking her while she tried to use it. She is the lowest cat on the totem pole in the household. Some cats like open litter boxes others like hooded try both. Stopping to use the bathroom is a vunerable moment for most beings cats included they want it to feel clean (you seem to have that covered) and safe in their perception. You can take the cat to the litter box if you notice her sniffing around alot and just take a her a few times a day in general. Put rubber gloves on make scratching in the litter gestures to encourage her to go, set her in the box say "good litterbox!". Tell her good litterbox if she does. Be careful to praise the object and not her. I learned that the hard way as when I wasn't paying as much attention to one cat as he liked he started "performance" peeing on the floor in the living room when he wanted what he thought would be positive attention. In addition to taking her to the litter box. If you catch her in the act don't scold her heavily your objective is to reinforce and show her correct behavior not frighten her. Pick her up gently do a calm "No" and take her to the box and say "good litterbox!" You also want to catch her using the litterbox as she finishes tell her "good litterbox!" She needs to think her litterbox is a great place. You might feel a little silly about doing this but it does help. My experience is that occasionally with enviromental and health changes cats with this issues will occasionally relapse. I do mean years can go by without incident but if they get a elimination related infection and you have allowed your stuff to sit in a easily targeted manner you find yourself doing some laundry. I guess at least you can figure out something is up by that sign. Because of this you may wish to continue hanging and enclosing said objects for good. Generally I have been able to relax some restrictions once the litter box has been positively reinforced and the cat is using it as expected.

• They probably think that's their litter location. If it isn't a too public place, try moving the litter box. If not, try hanging up the towels or fold them and put them in the linen closet or some other place in the house where they can't reach.