How can I get my puppy to stop chewing on myself and my kids?

I've tried distracting him with holding a toy in the other hand. I've also tried putting on citrus smelling lotion (supposively dogs dont like it) but nothing works so far. Help! We want to play with our puppy without him chewing us apart.

I've tried distracting him with holding a toy in the other hand. I've also tried putting on citrus smelling lotion (supposively dogs dont like it) but nothing works so far. Help! We want to play with our puppy without him chewing us apart....
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I get my puppy to stop chewing on myself and my kids?...

• How can I get my puppy to stop chewing on myself and my kids?

How can I get my puppy to stop chewing on myself and my kids? Other Pet Discussions
      I've tried distracting him with holding a toy in the other hand. I've also tried putting on citrus smelling lotion (supposively dogs dont like it) but nothing works so far. Help! We want to play with our puppy without him chewing us apart.

How can I get my puppy to stop chewing on myself and my kids? Other Pet Discussions
    • just as you grab with your hand a dog grabs with ..... you got it its teeth, ouwee! Obediance is one thing but if your antagonizing it ...well its probably your fault ,learn and teach.. if the puppy goes to far take the alpha dog role..show it whos boss..you!

• I agree, put the puppy in it's cage, you should have one there a great training tool,BUTalso put chew toys in there with it. Puppys are teething, they need to chew. They actually make puupy teething rings, try a petco or petsmart.Also try those locations for advise, petsmart has professional dog trainers who can help with all your training needs. Please don't yell or be cruel though puppies need love.

• Every time the puppy bites, yell no! Gently push him down and give him a chew toy. Actually put the toy righ on his mouth so he wants to bite it. If he's still biting you, put him in his crate for a little while and say no! Try to teach him how to sit by pusing his back down while saying "sit!" and poiting at him. When he does it, give him a treat. Also, you might want to let him outside in your backyard to just run around for 10 minutes or so. Or give him some more walks. He probably needs to burn a lot of energy. Trust me on this one. I have a puppy currently and this is what we do when my puppy is biting like crazy!

• Contrary to what some of the other responders are saying you should never use the crate as any part of a disciplinary action. The dogs crate needs to be associated with good things, not punishment.The best thing you can do to get your puppy to stop mouthing you is to make arrangements for him to spend time with other puppies. The other puppies will train him for you. If you cannot do this, then the next best thing to do is copy what the other puppies would do if your puppy bit them.When puppies are raised together they bite on each other with those razor sharp teeth. When they bite too hard the dog that is bitten yipes, then refuses to play with the biter. The isolated puppy will quickly learn if he wants to play he needs to be gentle. This is the behavior that you need to emulate.When your puppy hurts you immediately yell "ouch!" take him and close him in a room to isolate him for around 15 minutes. Do this each time he bites you and the biting will stop.