What is the best way to get my dog used to other dogs ?

She is obedient but so protective.She is a great dog around kids and would never bite but around other dogs I can't trust her not nip.She is a pitbull-dalmation mix, looks like the RCA dog.

She is obedient but so protective.She is a great dog around kids and would never bite but around other dogs I can't trust her not nip.She is a pitbull-dalmation mix, looks like the RCA dog....
    General Dog Discussions : What is the best way to get my dog used to other dogs ?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the best way to get my dog used to other dogs ?

What is the best way to get my dog used to other dogs ? General Dog Discussions
      She is obedient but so protective.She is a great dog around kids and would never bite but around other dogs I can't trust her not nip.She is a pitbull-dalmation mix, looks like the RCA dog.

What is the best way to get my dog used to other dogs ? General Dog Discussions
    • take her to a park, have her on a leash and maybe "take" her around other dogs, not too close, but close enough to see how shes acting. also ask friends or family you actually like, with "pets" to come over with them so your dog can interact. you could also take her to obedience classes because dogs interact there too

• Firstly U shoud buy a muzzle for your dog. Maybe if he notice that in it he can't bite he will stop. Then try to go with out muzzle. He can forgot that he wanted to bitre others dogs.

• Basically you just have to socialize her with other dogs. Try walking around with her on a leash near other dogs and when she's not so nervous or over-protective, let her play with the other dogs. See if there are any dog clubs or classes you can join as these places also are great places to get your dog socialized.

• You might want to take her to a dog park when its not too crowded, and keep her on lead until you know how she will react. It sounds like she's an alpha bittch, so if she meets a submissive dog and the submissive is OK with his/her status, then they should get along fine.

• Take your dog for regular walks I would not reccommend places where there are a lot of dogs so she gets overwhelmed. Ask someone who is walking their dog if you can introduce your dog tell them that she is very dominant and she will nip. Sometimes a nip could mean she wants to play.Have her sit about 2 feet behind you and tell her to stay then go forward and pet the other dog. If she comes up growling then tell her NO! and reposition her farther away. Talk to your dog explain to them what you want them to do they will understand. Before you go on a walk tell her you want her on her best behavior and tell that she has to be a good girl. This is all I could reccommend

• Don't worry: dogs nip at each other when they play. To get her used to other dogs, take her to an area where there are svereal dogs and keep her on a short leash. If she is friendly, let her play. If not, walk away. That's what I did with my dog and it worked wonders.

• I would invest in a good muzzle for your dog... just in case. Then you can take your dog to the park and and let her play and get used to the other dogs.Or maybe obedience school is the answer?

• First, do daily obedience lessons until she obeys you well - especially heel, sit and stay. Then find a friend with a very mellow dog to help out. After a long hard exercise run by herself, have your friend walk his dog beside you until your dog accepts them. (Don't let the dogs make eye contact - that can start a fight.) When she's comfortable, practice walking them past each other at an angle, then towards each other. Use a sharp tug on the leash whenever she even looks at the other dog - don't wait until she's out of control.