How can I keep my dog from jumping the fence?

I have tried the shock collar, (he wore the batteries out constantly), had him nuetered only to get him home and he jumped the fence to get back into the yard same day as the surgery. I have 3 other dogs for him to play with and I throw the ball to him…

I have tried the shock collar, (he wore the batteries out constantly), had him nuetered only to get him home and he jumped the fence to get back into the yard same day as the surgery. I have 3 other dogs for him to play with and I throw the ball to him…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I keep my dog from jumping the fence?...

• How can I keep my dog from jumping the fence?

How can I keep my dog from jumping the fence? Other Pet Discussions
      I have tried the shock collar, (he wore the batteries out constantly), had him nuetered only to get him home and he jumped the fence to get back into the yard same day as the surgery. I have 3 other dogs for him to play with and I throw the ball to him also so I know he is not lonely. Short of concrete booties I am at a loss.the fence is four feet high and he is an inside dog like the others. he jumps it when he is let outside to go to the bathroom after he wears out the other dogs in playing

How can I keep my dog from jumping the fence? Other Pet Discussions
    • I have a female American Pitbull and I'm having the same problem. She has busted every chain, and collar I have given her. Some dogs are like that, very high temperament. The best thing to do is buy her a harness and a private fence.

• how tall is the fence?? get a dog run instead if your fence isnt tall enoughhe isnt lonely but he is bored perhaps he needs more mental stuff than simply ball throwing.. keep him inside when you are not out with himtying dogs up is risky and creates a more agressive dog so I dont reccommend that.

• The answer is not to tye it up or put it in a kennel u get a bigger fence or teach it not to i think etting a bigger fence will do and if you dont want to spend the money watch it and when it trys you have to tell it no and teah it like roll up a new paper and when it trys slp it in your hands and he will learn not to do that.

• Most dogs can jump or climb a four foot fence if they want to - try going up to six feet without a top rail that he can get a grip on. Be careful using a chain - he could get caught on something and die.My personal preference for a jumper is to put something in the way of his take-off point. You can build a horizontal lattice all the way around the inside of your fence up on blocks about four inches off the ground. This should extend from the fence to about 4-8 feet away from it. If you don't want it to look ugly, you can grow roses or another type of thorny vine up through it. Plastic lattice will last longer than the wooden type, or you can use chicken wire. Anything that the dog won't want to walk on. You can also plant a hedge around the inside of the fence, but that could take years to grow big enough to stop him.This may also keep a climber from getting close to the fence, but if it doesn't - try this. Add a small piece of fencing along the top of your fence that angles in, so he can't get a grip on the top of the fence to pull himself over. Model it after the barbed wire tops on industrial chain link fences, but don't use real barbed wire or your dog could be severely injured.