How do I get two dogs to learn their names?

I have two twin brother dogs that are three months and when I call one of their names, both of them come come to me. What should I do to make sure that they know their names? Will this become a instinct thing or will they'll just know their names after a…

I have two twin brother dogs that are three months and when I call one of their names, both of them come come to me. What should I do to make sure that they know their names? Will this become a instinct thing or will they'll just know their names after a…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I get two dogs to learn their names?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I get two dogs to learn their names?

How do I get two dogs to learn their names? General Dog Discussions
      I have two twin brother dogs that are three months and when I call one of their names, both of them come come to me. What should I do to make sure that they know their names? Will this become a instinct thing or will they'll just know their names after a while?

How do I get two dogs to learn their names? General Dog Discussions
    • First make sure they know how to spell their names. Next, give them a pen and make them write it. Then make them read their names back to you to make sure they have it right. Then teach them to roll over and sniff each other's butts.

• Separate them, my dog learned her name by me saying her name in a high strung baby voice. I mean I sounded like an idiot going through the training in the pet store going !!!!lucy!!!!! But do this and when they look at you give them a treat. Lucy did well with this and knew her name within a day. Repeat with the brother dog.

• The idea behind name recognition is to teach your dog that her name means something wonderful is about to happen! Start your first session when you have your dog’s attention. With some dog treats on hand, say your dog’s name and then using an indicator (a word like “yes”), immediately give her a treat. Wait a few seconds and then repeat. Do this for five minutes several times a day.After a few sessions your pup will probably begin to associate the sound of her name with a tasty treat. Now you should begin the exercise when your dog’s attention is not focused on you. It’s a good idea to have your pet on a Dog Collar and Dog Leash for your training sessions so that you can prevent her from leaving, jumping, or other undesirable behaviors. When your dog is distracted call her name. As soon as she turns and orients toward you, say “yes!” and immediately give her a treat.If your dog doesn’t turn to look at you, gently pull her toward you with the leash. When she does finally orient toward you, say “yes!” and give her a dog treat. Repeat this exercise as many times a day as you can and in as many different environments as possible. Turn your daily walks into training walks and before you know it, your dog will be responding to her name reliably.A few words of caution: don’t use your dog’s name too casually otherwise it will become like white noise. Also, never use your dog’s name to correct or punish her in any way. Her name should predict something wonderful.Ensuring that your dog knows her name is not only a fun exercise – it is a great safety net. Should your dog get away from you for any reason, you want to be able to call your dog’s name and have her return to you. Of course, all dogs need a Dog Id Tag with their name and phone number to ensure their safe return, should they ever be lost. Personalized Dog Collars also are a great idea. These collars come with engraved buckles - you can have your pet's name and number engraved right in the buckle.