How do I get my dog to stop chewing up things in my apartment when I leave him alone for a few hours?

He has plenty of chew toys, bones, food and water but for some reason he always finds something to destroy.

How do I get my dog to stop chewing up things in my apartment when I leave him alone for a few hours?

He has plenty of chew toys, bones, food and water but for some reason he always finds something to destroy....
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my dog to stop chewing up things in my apartment when I leave him alone for a few hours?...

• How do I get my dog to stop chewing up things in my apartment when I leave him alone for a few hours?

How do I get my dog to stop chewing up things in my apartment when I leave him alone for a few hours? Other Pet Discussions
      He has plenty of chew toys, bones, food and water but for some reason he always finds something to destroy.

How do I get my dog to stop chewing up things in my apartment when I leave him alone for a few hours? Other Pet Discussions
    • You might need to confine him to a specific area of the house so he can't do it. He might be acting out because he's unhappy about something or it could simply be that he's in that stage or puppyhood. If he isn't a puppy, I'd bet it has more to do with him being unhappy over something.Most people that I know who have dogs tend to confine them to one room when they are gone so that they can control what they chew up. Myself, I've always found that a little training takes care of the problem but some people don't have the time for that & find confining them to be easier...

• Give your dog a hard bone and that will keep your dog busy for awhile and since you are not around? Your dog will sleep..........it did for my family member's dog

• Short term, go to the nearest pet store and get some Apple Bitter. It's something you can spray on things that animals can't stand the taste of, so they won't chew. It won't discolor your furniture or anything you spray it on. Long term, I notice that you live in an apartment. The dog probably isn't getting enough exercise, so he's getting his energy out by chewing things up. When I need to leave my dogs in the house instead of outside due to bad weather, they are usually all right the 1st day, but if it's 2 days in a row, they start chewing on things they aren't supposed to. They'd rather chew on my table & chairs despite all of their toys lying around. Also if it's a puppy (under 1 1/2 years old) teething may be an issue. They need something that has some 'give' in it like hard rubber or wood to ease teething pain. Solid or completely hollow plastic toys won't help them out any. Plus, dogs are like kids when they want attention-attention for being bad is still attention! Good Luck!