How old shot a cat be when having shots and being declawed?

I don't need to know about alternatives to declawing. I just need to know the right age to do this stuff.

I don't need to know about alternatives to declawing. I just need to know the right age to do this stuff....
    Other Pet Discussions : How old shot a cat be when having shots and being declawed?...

• How old shot a cat be when having shots and being declawed?

How old shot a cat be when having shots and being declawed? Other Pet Discussions
      I don't need to know about alternatives to declawing. I just need to know the right age to do this stuff.

How old shot a cat be when having shots and being declawed? Other Pet Discussions
    • right away. the earlier the better because if you take them out too late, the cat will be miserable with having claws for so long, then not having them at all. and do you really want to rip out your cat's pride?

• Vaccinations usually start around 8 weeks of age. They go through a series of them about each month for 2-3 months.Declawing can be done at the same time the cat is spayed. The older the cat gets, the harder the recovery is for them. If you are going to declaw do it when the cat is young.

• Cats are like puppies in that they begin their shots around 6 weeks of age. As far as declawing, the younger the cat the better but generally no sooner than 4 months. When you declaw a cat you are literally cutting their "fingers" off and the heavier the cat is the more heal time it takes as it will still have to get around.

• Declawing a cat is a horrible and inhumane thing to do. You should really attempt to train your cat to a scratching post. It doesn't take much effort and its not a major trauma to an animal like amputation of part of the paws, which is what declawing actually is.

• Kittens should get four sets of shots. The first set should be given at six weeks old, at which time they get FVR #1, and the first feline leukemia vaccine. They should only get the feline leukemia vaccine if they are going to be an outside cat, or come in contact with outside cats. (shouldn't even be an issue for you, as you are declawing you kitten, but thought you might want to know.)Then, at nine weeks, kitten gets the second FVR booster. 12 weeks old - Rabies vaccine and FVR booster #3. And finally, at 16 weeks, the cat gets it's last FVR shot. Then, they don't recieve their next shots until one year later! :-)If your kitten is older than 16 weeks and has not had any vaccines, vets will usually start with an FVR shot and rabies vaccine, and then ask you to come back and recieve another FVR booster in a few weeks.Also, if you found the kitten as a stray, it is always a good idea to do what is called a "combo test." This is a test that tests your kitten for feline leukemia and feline aids. Both diseases are fatal to cats, however they may live decent lives with these diseases, so long as they are not around any other cats that they can contaminate. Your vet can answer any questions you might have about this.As to declawing your kitten, a lot of vet clinics will do a declaw and spay or neuter together as one surgery. You can declaw and spay/neuter your kitten at 3 or 4 months, so long as it is healthy.It is important to get all four sets of kitten vaccines if you can, because this fully protects your kitten. Just like kids get booster shots:-)Hope this helps.

• My rescued kitten had extremely long claws and never failed to use them. I was bleeding for the first five months that I had her. I could either have her de-clawed or she wasn't going to have a home here. I contacted the vet and found that she could have the surgery when she was being spayed at 6 months old. She's now 6 years old, and she doesn't seem to have had any adverse reactions. She still uses her front paws to pick up small items and has no trouble moving around.

• probably a month or 2. know that this isn't a lot of help but want to address the idea of declawing, if u don't mind. please don't do it. it's painful afterwards & limits the cat. please just keep the cat indoors (if u're not). there r products @ petco, for example, that u can use to spray furniture or whatever.

• when you have the cat spayed or neutered is a good time to do it around 5-6months. if they do it all at once, then you only have to put the cat under once. alternatives are ,, not to do it, or buy some claw covers for them ,,, you have to glue them on and they dont work well. if your keeping the cat in, then just go ahead and do it. opt for the pain killer shot when you have everything done, its usually 20 bucks more, and it will help with any pain initally.

• approx 6 months old is when u want to start doing the "mean" stuffs to any animal u wanna to make sure they are old enough to be developed but not to mature to where it effects their memory if u know what i mean

• please, if you can avoid declawing, do so. you are actually cutting the tips of their "fingers" off. a stray adopted us, it had been declawed, and could not stand to have its paws touched. how would a person feel after having their fingers cut off.