What is the monthly cost of raising a horse?

Not a race horse or anything, just a pasture, ride everyonce in a while horse.

Not a race horse or anything, just a pasture, ride everyonce in a while horse....
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the monthly cost of raising a horse?...

• What is the monthly cost of raising a horse?

What is the monthly cost of raising a horse? Other Pet Discussions
      Not a race horse or anything, just a pasture, ride everyonce in a while horse.

What is the monthly cost of raising a horse? Other Pet Discussions
    • It depends upon the horse. Some horses are "easy keepers" whie others take more feed and attention. Is the horse a baby? They need extra nutrition until they are fully grown.I have seven horses and each needs different things. Your average is about 100 pounds of feed a week per horse, and at least 3 bales of hay - less if you have grass pasture.Feed here is about $8 a bag (for decent stuff) and $4.50 a bale for hay. (I feed round bales that are $30 each and last longer).Then you have deworming every2 or 3 months ($5 to $10), hoof rimming every 6 weeks ($25 here) and other expenses (shots, etc.)

• A lot! It depends on where you plan on keeping the horse. Do you have land or will you be boarding the horse? You'll need at the very least supplemental feed even if you have good pasture grass. You'll probably need to feed them hay especially during the winter months. Add in the other needs such as pest control and vet bills and it can run into quite a bit of money. Check with your local vet and he can give you an idea based on your situation.

• Alot you really got to know what your doing and doe you have a vet.? trust me i have five and it takes alot and you really have to be willing to take the time with them and have the time. If you have any more questions you can contact me at [email protected] my names lisa

• Any horse irregardless of use has basic needs. Some depend on what part of the country you're in. If you have to board that cost can vary widely. If you have your own pasture basic costs: grain - minimal $20-40 use of hay depends on situationtrimming/shoeing - $40-80 (depending on if trimming or if problems needing corrective shoeing can be higher). Equipment - can pretty much count on putting aside $20-30/month Fencing - ditto to equipment Fly sprays, salt, fly blocks, etc - $30-40Set aside $40-50/month for vets - advisable to have once a year check up minimal. You can do some vaccinations yourself (that will cost too). But will still need (depending on area) west nile, potomac horse fever, etc and an annual Coggins test (required in most states). These basics will run you about $100 +/- per year and is money WELL SPENT. The vet savings 'account' is for other things - needing stitches, injury gremlins (injuries from unknown sources) and such that horses seem to do. When it happens you can about count on $200-300 in some areas higher. This does not account for extras - blankets, halters, "horse clothing", breeding, etc. It doesn't count for board somewhere else.

• monthly, prolly around $200. a month. but it really depends on the horse. horses cost ALOT of money. so really think about how ur gonna take care of it b4 u decide. they are a lot of responsibility, and they need lots of attention.

• You can't want to raise a horse, and ride it every once in a while. Young horses take a lot of hard work and dedication. You can send it to the trainer for $600 a month, and hope it gets the care it needs. You or the trainer has to ride it often. First cost, buying a foal. Unless you plan on breeding, then there's stud fees, and buying the mare. Then comes boarding. A foal should not be alone, and it sounds like you don't have any horses. You want to find a reputable place, and most places are $300 a month, or more. Then, wait for a year or two until you'll pay $600 a month or more for training for this youngster. And then comes tack. And, farrier bill every 6-8 weeks. And yearly vet visits. Dentist visits.Horses are VERY expensive. Just think of them as needy kids.

• Owning a horse is a huge expense, BUT you can do it. I have 8 horses, do horse rescue and take in fosters that need rehabilitation.Roughage is the #1 thing you should take into consideration when setting up a feeding plan for your horse. My biggest expense is good quality hay. I would say I average 3 bales a week per horse. I feed out alot more hay than I do grain. A healthy horse does not need grain, but it does need roughage. I only use 20 bags of grain per month for 8 horses - a very minimal cost. I spend about $100/year on the vet and about $225 a year on the farrier. All my horses are barefoot.That being said, if you have no horse experience and are looking to get a pet - DO NOT - get a horse. They are not an animal to experiment with when learning to care for an animal. Start with something smaller, like a guinea pig and work your way up. Take lessons, volunteer at horse rescues, join a pony club or the 4H. Be sure you know what you are doing before taking on the responsibility of a horse. You can also board a horse at a knowledgeable facility. That will cost you a monthly fee and you will still have to pay for your farrier and vet costs.Just not an animal to get on a whim.

• All horses need regular vet care, deworming every 60 days and regular hoof care( trim hooves, every6 weeks). Vaccinations for equine diseases run about 225.00, deworming about 10.00 each time, hoof trimming or shoes, at least 70.00 every 6 weeks. Board at a reputable stable at least 300.00/month. Plus all your equipment and grooming supplies. Horses are expensive, but are the most enjoyable animal you can have. After all, you can't ride dogback.