What is the best way to move across country with my cats?

I have 5 and all must come with me. 1 outdoor that adopted us and 4 indoor that we adopted from shelters. I have individual carriers to actually transport them but I'm worried about stress on the drive and acclimation once we arrive.

I have 5 and all must come with me. 1 outdoor that adopted us and 4 indoor that we adopted from shelters. I have individual carriers to actually transport them but I'm worried about stress on the drive and acclimation once we arrive....
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best way to move across country with my cats?...

• What is the best way to move across country with my cats?

What is the best way to move across country with my cats? Other Pet Discussions
      I have 5 and all must come with me. 1 outdoor that adopted us and 4 indoor that we adopted from shelters. I have individual carriers to actually transport them but I'm worried about stress on the drive and acclimation once we arrive.

What is the best way to move across country with my cats? Other Pet Discussions
    • go to the vet and get tranquilizers and put them into carriers. I had to move 10 hours south and I had them in their cages. They were both out of it for the trip. It was nice since I know they don't travel well, even to go to the vet(10 min). Have a room ready with food and water/litter box, when you get to your destination and take them out of the cages to wake up the rest of the way. Their eyes will look funny, rolled back with second eye lid, but they will be fine! Good luck!

• WOW! Lotsa cats! If you do use the tranquilizers do a test on each of them before the trip to make sure they do not have an adverse reaction to the drug. You do not want to be looking for a vet in a strange city. I started using Valium for my cat last year and it worked great. I was worried about the dosage (my husband takes the same mg) but my pharmacist explained that cats metabolize Valium different than humans. I also use Feliway spray. It is a pheromone that imitates the smell of a lactating female. To a cat it says "momma's here, everything is OK, you are safe". I use it whenever I transport - even short distances.

• When we moved from Florida to Arizona and then 6 months later back to Florida, our cat done wonderfully with the travel. She was more frieghtened of the motel rooms than anything. Strange smells, strange furniture, strange people walking by the windows, etc. In the car she had her blanket, her toys, her food, her litter, her Mommy, etc. Use extreme cautions at the various stops so that kitty doesn't get away from you.