How can I get rid of gnats in a terrarium?

I have a long 10 gallon terrarium (turtle cage) and I have problems with gnats. I change the dirt frequently, but that does not help long at all--maybe 2-3 days. Any other suggestions or safe pesticides?

I have a long 10 gallon terrarium (turtle cage) and I have problems with gnats. I change the dirt frequently, but that does not help long at all--maybe 2-3 days. Any other suggestions or safe pesticides?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I get rid of gnats in a terrarium?...

• How can I get rid of gnats in a terrarium?

How can I get rid of gnats in a terrarium? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a long 10 gallon terrarium (turtle cage) and I have problems with gnats. I change the dirt frequently, but that does not help long at all--maybe 2-3 days. Any other suggestions or safe pesticides?

How can I get rid of gnats in a terrarium? Other Pet Discussions
    • 1. Soil is not a safe substrate for turtles- it holds too many microorganisms and cannot be cleaned well. Instead, try pea-sized river gravel, corrugated cardboard, rabbit chow, etc.2. If you feel you need to use soil, bake it before using it to sterilize it, and replace it every few onths with more sterilized soil.3. Keep the fruit and food fresh- don't let it sit longer than 30 minutes or so. (I bet they are really fruit flies!)