How do I get my dog to stop barking at larger dogs?

I have a terrier/chihuahua mix and he continues to bark at larger male dogs. He is fine with female dogs but he is starting to become more aggressive and fierce with his barking at larger male dogs. Any suggestions?

I have a terrier/chihuahua mix and he continues to bark at larger male dogs. He is fine with female dogs but he is starting to become more aggressive and fierce with his barking at larger male dogs. Any suggestions?...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I get my dog to stop barking at larger dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do I get my dog to stop barking at larger dogs?

How do I get my dog to stop barking at larger dogs? General Dog Discussions
      I have a terrier/chihuahua mix and he continues to bark at larger male dogs. He is fine with female dogs but he is starting to become more aggressive and fierce with his barking at larger male dogs. Any suggestions?

How do I get my dog to stop barking at larger dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • if he's not fixed, get him neutered now. that should help. for the barking, you need to teach him the "quiet" command. this is simply gently closing his mouth and saying quiet. if you're on a walk, jerk his head with the leash so he's not looking at the other dog and keep walking. stay calm and just keep going. when you notice him looking at another dog, get his attention again, by jerking the leash away from the dog and just keep going. you could also watch some dog whisperer and try the "touch" this is a calming effect on a dog when you just poke the dog on the neck to get his attention and calm him down.

• If he looks back at you after barking then the root of the problem may lie with you paying him attention when he barks.Next time he does it, try turning away and ignoring him.Soon he will realise that there is no reward for that kind of barking.You haven't really given enough info, but if it's Guarding Barking (a mix of growls and barks) then try not to put the dog into a position where it thinks it has to defend itself.