How can I get my cat to stop knocking over her water bowl?

Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? My cat is almost 3 years old and has been knocking her water bowl over for atleast 2 years. I'm thinking of buying an oversized heavy dog bowl but I'm thinking that might be just more water to clean up.

Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? My cat is almost 3 years old and has been knocking her water bowl over for atleast 2 years. I'm thinking of buying an oversized heavy dog bowl but I'm thinking that might be just more water to clean up....
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I get my cat to stop knocking over her water bowl?...

• How can I get my cat to stop knocking over her water bowl?

How can I get my cat to stop knocking over her water bowl? Other Pet Discussions
      Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? My cat is almost 3 years old and has been knocking her water bowl over for atleast 2 years. I'm thinking of buying an oversized heavy dog bowl but I'm thinking that might be just more water to clean up.

How can I get my cat to stop knocking over her water bowl? Other Pet Discussions
    • The heavier bowl might actually work -- especially if it has a nonslip rubber ring around bottom of it (that is what we have). Also, we put a plastic tray under the water so that if water is spilled, it stays on the tray and is easier to clean up.

• yes i have a siameese who loves to do this. try velcro. two strips on the floor and two strips on the bowl. oversized dishes dont work they will find a way to tip it. crafty little buggers anyway!

• Does your cat always do this no matter how recently you've refilled the bowl? My cat drops things in his bowl (it's far too heavy for him to knock over) when he thinks it needs to be changed. Try changing the water more frequently and see if the behavior changes or stops. Alternately, try using filtered (i started used water from a brita pitcher when I lived in a town where the water had a high chlorine content) water.If none of this changes the behavior, try a self-waterer that holds a greater amount of water or put the bowl in a corner where it cannot be flipped.

• Try a heavier bowl. Also change water more often. Our old cat hates water that she thinks is dirty or old. I have had cats that slap the water out of the bowl and one that would even pee in the water bowl. Who knows about cats. Your cat could be just having a good time or it could be trying to tell you something. Just love her and keep mopping up the water.

• o.k. u a......s who hate cats piss off. just get a ceramic bowl dear which wasnt hard to work out. and to u people that hate cats. get >>>>>>d.cat lover from way back.