How do i get my dog to stop barking at my dad when ever he walks in?

My 8 month old puppy always barks at my dad when he walks in. My 13 year old dog used to do this. He is a rescue dog and we do not fully no his history but suspect he was beaten by a man prior to us having him. My puppy how ever has never lived with a a…

My 8 month old puppy always barks at my dad when he walks in. My 13 year old dog used to do this. He is a rescue dog and we do not fully no his history but suspect he was beaten by a man prior to us having him. My puppy how ever has never lived with a a…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do i get my dog to stop barking at my dad when ever he walks in?...

• How do i get my dog to stop barking at my dad when ever he walks in?

How do i get my dog to stop barking at my dad when ever he walks in? Other Pet Discussions
      My 8 month old puppy always barks at my dad when he walks in. My 13 year old dog used to do this. He is a rescue dog and we do not fully no his history but suspect he was beaten by a man prior to us having him. My puppy how ever has never lived with a a previous family . We have tried sprayinghim with water when he barks. It seemed to be working but now doesnt seem to have any affect on him. Please help.

How do i get my dog to stop barking at my dad when ever he walks in? Other Pet Discussions
    • Well, try talking to your puppy, and your dad. When he comes home he should have a doggie treat with him. Try doing this in a regular basis. I'm not sure spraying water is a good idea.

• Zen has the right idea, bribery works wonders. Let me give you a case in point. We had this Shepard who hated coming into the kennel the dog was almost 4 feet tall and the owner was just a little over 5 feet, rather comical. One day we had a dog cookie and decided on trying it. After a couple more times he pulled to come in to the kennel so he could get that cookie.If your pup was in some way affected by a prior experience, no one can tell. But this form of reconditioning may just help.For a treat, something small, something he likes and is good for him. Don’t use hotdogs, or ham, too much sodium. You know you could save a little piece of meat from dinner, not fat but gristle or even some puppy treats, most like liver.

• YOUR DAD MUST GIVE OFF SOME SCENT, IF 2 DOGS HAVE BARKED AT HIM, WHEN HE WALKS IN. I THINK PUNISHING THE DOG WILL ONLY MAKE IT WORSE.WHY NOT HAVE YOUR DAD HAVE ONE OF YOUR DOG'S FAVORITE TREATS IN HIS HAND, AND HAVE YOUR DAD SQUAT DOWN AND CALL THE PUP, EVEN IF HE IS STILL BARKING TELL HIM TO GIVE THE PUP THE TREAT. AND YOU PRAISE HIM!!! LITTLE BY LITTLE, HE WILL GET CLOSER TO YOUR DAD, TO GET THAT TREAT. THEN YOU MUST REWARD HIM EVERY TIME, BEFORE YOU KNOW IT, HE WILL LOVE IT WHEN YOUR DAD WALKS IN! EVENTUALLY WE WANT YOUR DAD TO PRAISE THE DOG, BUT DON'T RUSH THIS, AS HE IS ONLY A PUP, BUT DOGS WILL DO ALOT OF THINGS FOR A FAVORITE TREAT!AND ONLY HAVE YOUR DAD GIVE HIM THIS TREAT...NO ONE ELSE!

• I know this may sound too easy, but perhaps your father has a beard or moustache or something that registers with the dog? Even a hat or the smell of alcohol can trigger this sort of response in a dog. Good luck.P.S. I agree with getting your dad to have treats on him before entering.