How long did it take to get your dog trained?

My dog is a year and a half, and she is almost trained. How long, if you have a dog did it take to train them?

My dog is a year and a half, and she is almost trained. How long, if you have a dog did it take to train them?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How long did it take to get your dog trained?...

• How long did it take to get your dog trained?

How long did it take to get your dog trained? Other Pet Discussions
      My dog is a year and a half, and she is almost trained. How long, if you have a dog did it take to train them?

How long did it take to get your dog trained? Other Pet Discussions
    • To potty train it only took about a week. He is one year now and he is trained but he learns new things every once in a while. He's a German Shep. Mix though. They are really easy to train

• Depends on what you mean by trained? And it depends on the dogs breed and finally on the dog itself. I have heard of labs being house trained from 2 days to 4 months. Also with sit, down, stay and come. A puppy can learn these simple commands in 2-3 lessons or it may take 6-8 months. Labs are very easy to train where an Akita is stubborn and will take longer and a Chihuahua isn't very smart so will take a very long time. I am generalizing here because each dog is different no natter what the breed. It will also depend on the owner and how close they have come to their dog. If your bond is strong and you can communicate well with your dog then you will do better than someone who has no experience and doesn't know well how to read the animal. Hope this makes sense.

• This is a very ambiguous question and needs more detail.How obedient do you need your dog to be? Is s/he a pet or a show dog? Start as you mean to go on and get your dogs attention at all times- both on and off the lead, join a training class and then you can go as far as you think your dog can get in the classes. Try agility training as long as you are committed to it your self and willing to keep up the exercises.My dogs are all rescued dogs and have personality problems due to their former lives, but are reasonable obedient and able to be left at home for about 3 to 4 hours without destroying the house. They are good on the lead and friendly with other dogs now, but also quite protective of me and my family. They are German Shepherds, what is your dog? Different breeds need different handling and differing times of their life.Best of luck and whatever happens love your animal and it will respect you back.