Whats the difference between a raven and a crow?

I can never tell the difference, I think I heard that the beak is a different color.

I can never tell the difference, I think I heard that the beak is a different color....
    Other Pet Discussions : Whats the difference between a raven and a crow?...

• Whats the difference between a raven and a crow?

Whats the difference between a raven and a crow? Other Pet Discussions
      I can never tell the difference, I think I heard that the beak is a different color.

Whats the difference between a raven and a crow? Other Pet Discussions
    • The raven is bigger and has a different Caw. The raven is also more shy than the crow, so you're more likely to see the crow. Ravens are also more of a night bird.

• Ravens are larger birds. They also have a different "voice"---crows make the "caw, caw" sound, while ravens tend to sound more like they're speaking in a low gravelly voice. Lots of good info and pictures here: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/ravens/

• That are two different species, although related and both in genus Corvus. In the USA, the Raven is the Corvus ccorax. The American Crow is Corvus brachyrhynchos. (There are other species in other countries also. Some of the European crows have grey patches -- I think they are called Hooded Crows, but I'm not sure. I'll talk here about the American variety.)Now for how to tell them apart when you see them. Both are solid black birds with black feathers, feet, and beaks. The Crow is smaller than the raven (17-21 inches, 40-50 cm), has a somewhat squared-off tail when in flight, and its call is a clear "Caw" often in threes (caw-caw-caw.) The Raven is a much bigger bird (22-27 inches, 49-53 cm), it's tail looks rounded when in flight, and its call is a lower pitched "crr-uck" or as sort of "tok" sound -- never a clear caw. It's beak is chunkier-looking than a crow.Crows are more often seen in flocks, sometimes roosting in large numbers in the trees. Ravens tend to be more solitary, although they will flock sometimes, too.Both species will steal eggs and young from other birds' nests. This is why you will sometimes see smaller birds harassing crows and ravens to drive them out of their territory.

• There are several species of black birds that are called ravens. These species are all in the genus Corvus. Other black birds in the same genus are crows. Ravens are bigger than crows and they have behaviors that are different: they act more like hawks than crows do, and crows are hostile toward ravens. So they are similar only in general shape and in the black color, although ravens and crows are both pretty smart birds.