How do I keep my cat warm in a cold room?

My basement apartment is cold, often getting down to 65. This is because of the air conditioning unit not working properly. The main floor is just right always, but the basement is too cold and the second floor is too hot. I will be bringing a cat home…

My basement apartment is cold, often getting down to 65. This is because of the air conditioning unit not working properly. The main floor is just right always, but the basement is too cold and the second floor is too hot. I will be bringing a cat home…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I keep my cat warm in a cold room?...

• How do I keep my cat warm in a cold room?

How do I keep my cat warm in a cold room? Other Pet Discussions
      My basement apartment is cold, often getting down to 65. This is because of the air conditioning unit not working properly. The main floor is just right always, but the basement is too cold and the second floor is too hot. I will be bringing a cat home in a week. What's the best way to keep her warm in this extra cold environment?She is a 2 year-old F4 (fourth generation) Bengal cat. This is important because it means she does not have the fuzzy under layer of fur that most cats do (the Asian Leopard Cat does not have the fuzz layer, and so the Bengals do not).Oh. She's not going to be there 24/7. Her foster mother says she'll follow people around all day, and she'll have free reign of the entire house (main floor, basement, and 2nd floor), and will likely remain on the main floor where I will be during the day. But she will be here at night every night.

How do I keep my cat warm in a cold room? Other Pet Discussions
    • Are you sure you want to keep a cat in those conditions 24 hours a day? The only way to do it without making it sleep under blankets all of the time is to is to buy an electric heater with automatic shut off. Or a warming lamp that she/he could lay under whenever she/he got cold.

• I would make sure to put her a bed with nice warm blankets in it, so if she gets too cold she can crawl in her bed, can you buy one of those little heaters, the ones you plug in because you might could do that. Don't worry about her too much I have 10 cats, they will know what to do in cold situations, but I understand helping them out!

• I would talk to the person you are getting her from. A cat that old is set in a routine. You wouldn't want her to become ill or depressed. Don't take her and then have to give her up.Why can't the A/C be repaired? Why do you live in a basement apt.? Could you move? Why don't you live up? Is it like a three plex? I don't know why I am asking you all these questions. You don't have to tell me. But I keep thinking of a damp, cold basement apartment and the poor cat living there. It is your choice but not the cats.I just read your added details about the house. If the cat will only be sleeping with you, that's not too bad. She'll just snuggle up with you and keep warm. If she is going to have the run of the house she might not want to sleep with you..........Good Luck To You and your new roommate........

• You should check with your vet (I highly recommend a cat only vet). A cat will usually find the warm spots themselves. However, I have a fleece cube that can be purchased at any pet supply store. They usually have an opening on two opposite ends. I just cover one end with a towel to eliminate possible drafts. I also put an old flannel shirt or fleece covered pad on the bottom of the inside. This should be enough. I do have a cat that will burrow under the covers on our bed!! Cats are pretty resourceful. Keep her inside. Contrary to popular belief, cats do not have to be outside animals.

• I don't think 65 is to cold for any animal but they do sell a small electric blanket just for pets. In fact they're a few different fairly good products you could consider..Any real pet store or go on line look for a company with an available small animal catalog .They'll be able to help you.

• hi i would make sure she sleeps on your bed or couch, also my older kitty gizmo gets chilly sometimes so i have a heating pad i plug in and put a towel on top of it she loves that! also the front pads of cats give you there temp if the pads are warm they are warm if the pads are cold they are cold

• How about sleep with her?or buy a electric Blanket i have 8 Cats and i sleep with them i can tell you they are Happy and warm all night.or you can make her a bed and put bottles with hot water around the bed or underneath depend on how you make the bed or buy her a crochet blanket, poncho, hat or i can sell you special bed for her.

• I'm the girl with the two F4 Bengals! I've found that Bengals usually take care of themselves. We keep blankets on chairs and on the couch, and we got them a very fuzzy cat bed. They will usually find these things and nestle in when they're cold. If you have another pet, she'll nestle with that pet to stay warm too. I'd just suggest keeping blankets and warm beds on hand. She'll find them. But she will spend most of her time following you around and being all up in your business! These are the most curious breed of cat that there is. I hope you don't expect to ever go the bathroom alone again, because I haven't since I got them, haha! They are quick!