How do I get my 6-month old puppy to stop chewing on my rugs?

I have tried that "No Chew" dog spray and I don't know what else to try but she goes after all my rugs and loves to chew on them. Any suggestions?

I have tried that "No Chew" dog spray and I don't know what else to try but she goes after all my rugs and loves to chew on them. Any suggestions?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my 6-month old puppy to stop chewing on my rugs?...

• How do I get my 6-month old puppy to stop chewing on my rugs?

How do I get my 6-month old puppy to stop chewing on my rugs? Other Pet Discussions
      I have tried that "No Chew" dog spray and I don't know what else to try but she goes after all my rugs and loves to chew on them. Any suggestions?

How do I get my 6-month old puppy to stop chewing on my rugs? Other Pet Discussions
    • get him lots of chew toys and spray Bitter Apple spray on your rugs. the No Chew stuff doesn't seem to work for most people. I was using the no scratch for my cat but that didn't work for more than a week. Keep the stuff around though because it does work really well on wounds and such.

• http://www.bestfriendspetcare.com/dog_training/puppytraining6.cfmhttp://www.thepetprofessor.com/articles/article.aspx?id=110 1. Provide several of a variety of toys for your puppy. 2. Teach your puppy to play with these toys. 3. Praise puppy every time you see him chewing or playing with his toys on his own. 4. Teach your puppy to get a toy to greet you. Each time your pup runs up to greet you or anyone else, encourage him to find and get a toy. All humans, especially the owners should always be greeted by a dog with toy in mouth. 5. Any area that the pup has access to must be kept clear and clean. Put out of puppy's reach anything you don't want him to chew or destroy, such as trash, shoes, hazards, etc. Your puppy does not know what is valuable or dangerous and what is not. 6. If you find your puppy with your best shoe in mouth, distract him away from it and replace the shoe with one of his toys. Praise him for chewing his toy. Do not reprimand him for chewing your shoe. Reprimand yourself for leaving it out where he could find it. 7. Booby trap items and articles to show your puppy that these things are no fun to chew, in fact, they are an annoyance even to touch. 8. Do not allow unsupervised access to 'unchewables.' 9. Do not chase the puppy in an attempt to take something away. 10. Do not reprimand excessively. A verbal warning should be enough. A loud startling noise is even better. It gets the puppy's attention without the puppy associating it with you. As soon as the puppy is distracted, show him what to chew and praise him for chewing it.

• Get him A rope chew from a pet store. He will Like it better than the rug and it will give him the saame kind of sensation. You need to sunstitute something else for your dog to chew because he is teething...just like a baby does.

• Puppies and even grown dogs are going to chew things. If you keep plenty of chew bones and toys for him it might help some. Of course, I came home this morning and found a pair of my good shoes I had forgotten to put up in the middle of all his toys. The shoes had little wooden beads on them and he had chewed them all off! My fault, because I left them laying around. Keep things out of their reach the same as you would a baby. That way they don't get in trouble or get hurt. Good luck!

• since he's a puppy, hos new teeth are growing, so his gums are itching, so it's best not to stop the chewing. but you can get him soft chew toys from walmart or a petstore, and spray some nitter spray on the stuff he chews on and u dont want him to chew on. once he chews it with bitter spray, he wont want to chew it again. good luck!!!

• Have you tried crate training your puppy. I had similar problems with my dog. I would suggest keeping your puppy in a crate when your away so that it cannot chew on anything and provide it with plenty of toys. Right now your puppy is at that age where it is teething, that is loosing it's milk (puppy) teeth and getting it's adult teeth. The chewing helps relieve the pain. Just give it some time and your puppy should grow out of it. Also try rewarding your puppy when it chews on the toys its supposed to chew on instead of the rug. This creates positive reinforcement and it will want to chew on the toys more often than your rugs. Also if your puppy isn't interested in toys try getting some Kong's and sticking treats in it. I suggest even putting peanut butter in it. It should keep your puppy occupied.

• Chewing is a perfectly normal behavior for dogs. Dogs love to chew on bones and sticks—and just about anything else available. They chew for fun, they chew for stimulation and exercise, and they chew to relieve anxiety. But that’s not it on the list of destructive behaviors. Dogs also steal things off the counters and tabletops, and they raid the trash. Most dogs prefer human food to dog food and, if given the opportunity, will help themselves. While these behaviors are normal, dogs can, of course, be taught to control themselves. Understand that your dog needs to learn not to chew your things or steal your food—he’s not born knowing that he shouldn’t.WHAT TO DO: - Provide the dog with plenty of his own toys and chew bones; introduce something new every day or two. - Give the dog a “single serving” chew bone once or twice a day—something he will finish in one chew session (i.e. Greenie, Dentabone, rawhide chip, etc.). - Identify the times of the day when your dog is likely to chew, and give him a stuffed Kong, Goodie Ship, or Buster Cube at this time. You can include some of his daily ration of food in the toy. - Discourage chewing inappropriate items with chewing deterrents, such as Bitter Apple or Chew Guard* (see below for application tips). - Always supervise your dog. If you see him licking or chewing an item he shouldn’t, say “uh uh,” remove the item from his mouth and insert something that he can chew. Be sure to praise him. - Booby-trap the counters and tables to discourage the dog from jumping up. You can try double-sided sticky tape, cookie sheets placed precariously so they fall down if the dog touches them and a pyramid of empty soda cans all tied together and placed so that they fall if the dog touches them (you can tie to a small tidbit of food to this contraption).You can also place “baits” to be stolen: food adulterated with bad-tasting substances, such as Tabasco or Bitter Apple. WHAT NOT TO DO: - Do not show the dog the damage and spank, scold, or punish him after the fact. - There are dog training books still being published today that advocate dangerous and inhumane techniques, such as using duct tape to hold a dog’s mouth closed around a chewed object, or filling a hole with water and holding a dog’s head under. Just in case it’s not obvious—methods such as these are ineffective and horribly cruel! - Do not crate the dog for lengthy periods of time to prevent destructive chewing. * Using taste deterrents: When you first use the deterrent, apply a small amount to a piece of tissue or cotton wool. Place it directly into the dog’s mouth, allow him to taste it and then spit it out. The dog has learned the link between the taste and the odor of the substance and will be more likely to avoid chewing items that smell like the substance. Re-apply the deterrent to the off-limits objects every day for 2-4 weeks.