why did my cat all the sudden start to deficate far from the litter box?

I have had this cat since he was 3 weeks old.Hes a big cat,but he also heavy (19Lbs).I have tried switching litters and litter boxes nothing helped.We finally had to move all4 boxes to the basement because he insists on going like 3 feet away from the…

I have had this cat since he was 3 weeks old.Hes a big cat,but he also heavy (19Lbs).I have tried switching litters and litter boxes nothing helped.We finally had to move all4 boxes to the basement because he insists on going like 3 feet away from the…...
    Other Pet Discussions : why did my cat all the sudden start to deficate far from the litter box?...

• why did my cat all the sudden start to deficate far from the litter box?

why did my cat all the sudden start to deficate far from the litter box? Other Pet Discussions
      I have had this cat since he was 3 weeks old.Hes a big cat,but he also heavy (19Lbs).I have tried switching litters and litter boxes nothing helped.We finally had to move all4 boxes to the basement because he insists on going like 3 feet away from the litterbox.Hubby wants to get rid of him.

why did my cat all the sudden start to deficate far from the litter box? Other Pet Discussions
    • Sometimes when a cat starts going to the bathroom in a place that is unusual it indicates the cat is ill. If I remember right it has to do with their scent, and because they are ill they don't smell the same.

• Well... How old is he? Perhaps his muscles or joints aren't what they used to be and he's having difficulties stepping into his litter box?... Or perhaps, if he's heavy, a fat cat, lol I love fat cats, then he may be a little lazy and again doesn't feel like stepping into his litter box... When was the last time he saw the vet? Depending on how old he is and how heavy he is, his joints may be straining that even the small stepp into his kitty box may be a little hard on him... Or you may just have a case of a lazy crazy fat cat... lol... No offense... P.S. I didn't mean to make that rhyme, it just did...

• ~~ tsopolly has prob hit the nail on the head... take your cat to the vet... usually if a cat has always been a clean animal and suddenly habbits change it is a sign that your cat may be sick. best to check with a vet and couchtalk, spanking the kitty won't do any good if the kitty is sick infact the bad behavior will increase not decrease. ~~

• i feel sorry for him. i would call a vet and ask. have you ever had a moment that you didn't have time to change the litter boxes for a while? if so then he is still in the frame of mind that they are considered dirty and now he won't go near them. call the vet anyway. good luck!!!!

• Please, please, please do not get rid of this cat. This cat is upset. If you are a loving parent, you will care about its problem. Has there been any big change in the house? Like someone moving out, a really bad argument, house painted, new person moving in, a new pet moving in new carpeting, etc. etc. If there has been a change in the house, a lot of cats will do this.Get him a check up at the vet if there has been no change in the house. If we bring animals into our lives, we make a committment to care for them to their natural end.If it unbearable, you have to consider a safe set up outside, if you have a yard.

• this can be a sign of sickness or old age. My kitty started to do that when she got very old. I had to put the litterboxes in the garage so that she didnt mess in the house. It can be frustrating so i understand how your hubby must feel. Im sure he loves her just like you do. Hopefully he can hang longer and be patient with kitty. I know you love your kitty and will get him to the vet soon just to be sure about his health and to find out if there is something that needs to be addressed. Take care =^^=

• is the litter box next to the furnace, or laundry machine or something that makes noises??furnaces or laundry machines change cycles which could frighten a cat.non-scented clumping is that most cats like.]3 weeks is an incredably young age to get a kitten (6-8 is better)was he declawed?? this impacts problems with litter box usage

• Cats can be really fussy about their litter and something as simple as changing to another type or brand can easily upset them.Here are a few suggestions:If you are using a covered litter box, take the cover off for awhile as there may be a build-up of odor in the box.Empty the box completely and thoroughly wash, clean and dry it (just use water), then use a liner (they aren't expensive at all and changing the litter is then quite easy to do) before replacing the litter.At 19 pounds, the cat is quite heavy and, as someone else suggested he may have difficulty getting into the box, so, you might consider getting a box with low sides or cur down part of the end of the box to make an entrance that is just a few inches high.If none of this works, then, perhaps you should consider a trip to your vet.Good luck with solving this problem.

• sound like a UTI [urinary tract infection]. Get him to the vet soon. Cats with UTI often won't use the litterbox because it causes excruciating pain in the groin. Don't let it go becuase the cat will also associate pain with the litterbox and you'll never get him to use it again.