How can I stop my puppy from urinating in her crate?

She goes on her bed almost nightly. I even feed her in her crate but that hasn't helped. Any suggestions?unfortunately, she doesn't mind lying where she has gone. She doesn't have enough room to avoid it.

She goes on her bed almost nightly. I even feed her in her crate but that hasn't helped. Any suggestions?unfortunately, she doesn't mind lying where she has gone. She doesn't have enough room to avoid it....
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I stop my puppy from urinating in her crate?...

• How can I stop my puppy from urinating in her crate?

How can I stop my puppy from urinating in her crate? Other Pet Discussions
      She goes on her bed almost nightly. I even feed her in her crate but that hasn't helped. Any suggestions?unfortunately, she doesn't mind lying where she has gone. She doesn't have enough room to avoid it.

How can I stop my puppy from urinating in her crate? Other Pet Discussions
    • If the puppy has lots of room in the crate, you need to block off a significant portion of that room so she only has enough to lay there. If she goes in her crate and then has to pee there and lay in it-- she won't do it again. I know how this must sound, and I don't mean to describe it so bluntly, but it is the way you encourage puppies to stop peeing in their crates.If your puppy is peeing in the back of the crate, for instance, and then chilling up front-- it's because it doesn't bother her. Just block off most of her free room in the back, until she stops peeing in the crate.

• Paper train her. Puppies shouldn't go outside until after 12 weeks old and had their vacinations, so need to train in doors. Designate one area. A cruel but kind way of telling her/him off when peed where shouldn't is to rub her nose in it then put her on the paper. Within one week, paper trained guaranteed. Patience, they are like babies. As soon as twelve weeks are up, start weaning into the garden and rewarding when clean. They learn quick and are very intelligent animals. Be kind and treat them with respect even in telling off, it makes a difference.Good luck....paper!HAHA! just re-read my own comment, like babies.....Ermmm, I didn't rub my kids faces in their pee but it works with pups and only need to do once or twice, no getting peed off anyhow! HAHAHAHAHA!!

• Get the dog out a few times though out the night. and get up early and take the dog out. after she goes out side tell the dog see is a good dog. don't feed her in there do that before you put the dog in the cage. and then take her out side then put her up.

• check out Jan Fennel the dog listener.you'll have to do a search for her site as i cannot remember it.she knows her stuff and there are loads of books from her,"The seven ages of your dog" is the one i've got but there is no info on bed wetting you could try emailing her.I've got a pup and her books are an incredible help,shes like a dog psychiatrist! I've got a crate with a weewee mat in it next to her bed in case she really needs to do it.puppies bladders are too weak to go more than 2 or 3 hours without doing it.check out the site,amazon sells the books cheaper too.good luck!

• First thing is to help regulate her input and output. Meaning no water late in the evening. secondly. Try setting up regular feeding times. this will get her bowels working in a cycle. You can then work on getting a urination schedule as well. things to remember. use the crate when you are home as well. when puppy sleeps then wakes up it is your duty to take her out IMPORTANT only to pee and poop. then bring her back in the house. Make a regular spot for to pee in. why would you feed her in the crate. its not a diner or kitchen feed in a feeding area. sleep in a sleeping area. Also don't put her nose in it as this just lets her think you want it there. Positive rewards like a rub or an attaboy when proper spot is used.

• How old is your puppy..you must realize that your pup is only able to hold her urine for 1 hour for each month of age. Feeding her in the crate is a really bad idea if you are not there to take her out at least 1/2 hour after she eats. Water should always be there of course. How many hours a day is your pup confined to the crate? Is it for your convience or the pups safety and security when you "have" to be away. The problem might be that the pup is being confined way to many hours for it's age..and at the wrong time, especially if it has not been walked and given time to actually go "potty" outside...and outside of the crate...

• Dogs are clean animals and will not soil the place where they sleep. The crate is to large for the dog if the dog can go in the crate and get away from it they will. The crate should be only large enough for the dog to stand, turn around, and lie down. block off the back half of the crete to get it to this size.

• Let her out more often!If she is doing it overnight she might not be able to hold on all night. You could try putting her bedding in one part of her crate and some papers in the other. If she is very young it would be unfair to restrict her as most pups do not want to soil the area they sleep in.More time and patience might be needed.

• As you have learned puppies will potty and then lay in it. If you aren't taking your puppy out every hour during the night then he/she needs to have a place to potty in the crate and not have to lay in it. Here is some tips on potty training.You will want to crate train him. When there is no one available to constantly watch him, you will want to put him in his crate. Now, he can't be expected to hold his potty overnight or while you are at work one day so you need to make sure that they crate is large enough for a potty pad and an old towel or blanket. That way when he does have to potty he won't have to lay in it all day. A lot of people might disagree with this and say that the crate should only be large enough for the dog to stand up and turn around and lay down. This is not the case. Once it again, it isn't realistic for us to expect a little puppy to hold their potty for that long. If the dog is loose in the house and does have an accident all that you should do is clean it up and go on with life. Do not punish the dog. It is your responsibility to not let the dog have an accident in the house. Make sure you are using an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle to remove the enzymes from their potty, otherwise they will smell it and return to that spot. When you take the dog to go outside (which should be 15 minutes after eating, sleeping, playing, or drinking) go with the dog. If you are just letting them outside there will be no way for you to tell if they have went to the bathroom or not and being a puppy they will lose focus of the task at hand. In other words, they will get outside and chase leaves, play in the dirt, see squirrels, etc. and then get back inside and potty. After they have gone to the bathroom outside, in the most exciting voice you can muster, praise them. I always try to remember to grab a treat before I go out, that way they can be rewarded. Make sure it is a soft, bite-sized treat, that way when you give it to them they don't forget what they are being rewarded for while they are eating it. I hope this helps. Be patient, potty training can be difficult!

• block off more of her crate. don't feed her inside her crate; designate another area in the house for that. except for bedtime, puppies and dogs are not to be left for more than 4 hours inside their crates. instead of a bed pillow, etc..., give her a small towel or pillowcase to lie on. the bigger the bed, the more area she has to lay on that hasn't been peed on. good luck. oh, take her out every 2-3 hours, even at night. eventually, they start sleeping through the night like a baby does. :0)

• the first thing to remember about house training a puppy is there ability to hold themselves is limited. a rule of thumb is they can hold "it" usually 1 hour for each month of age. 2 months old = 2 hours, 3 months old = 3 hours, etc. when your puppy wakes up (morning, nap, whatever) the pup has to go, right then! take the pup out. when the pup eats or drinks, it has to go, take the pup out. after exercise (play), take the pup out. when the pup does it's thing outside praise it. a lot. tell the pup how good, how smart it is. you have to pay attention to the pups "looking for it's spot" behavior. when you see that behavior indoors, whisk the pup out. if you catch the pup in the act, simply tell it "NO!" and whisk it outside. if you find a puddle or pile after the fact, clean it up with an enzyme cleaner (pet food store) get a newspaper and hit.... yourself in the head and say "i should have been paying more attention" daytime training they get pretty fast. night time training is easier if you crate train the pup. also remember the one hour/one month rule. you will have to get up through the night to take the pup out. good luck.three websites on how to crate train a puppyhttp://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~rc207100/info-pub.htm http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html http://www.planeturine.com/pettips/dsp_crateTrainPuppy.cfm

• How old is this puppy? As a GENERAL rule, to know how long a puppy can hold it's bladder add 1 to it's month in age and that's how many hours. Example, if the puppy is 2 months than it can only hold it's bladder for around 3 hours. You may be training the dog to urinate in the crate by leaving her in there too long.