What kinds of easy-care fish can I keep in a five-gallon, filtered, unheated tank?

How many can I keep, and how expensive are they?Okay, are there any suggestions other than goldfish or bettas? I've considered keeping a betta in it, and my goldfish will shortly be evicted from this tank because it is way too small for him at the rate…

What kinds of easy-care fish can I keep in a five-gallon, filtered, unheated tank?

How many can I keep, and how expensive are they?Okay, are there any suggestions other than goldfish or bettas? I've considered keeping a betta in it, and my goldfish will shortly be evicted from this tank because it is way too small for him at the rate…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What kinds of easy-care fish can I keep in a five-gallon, filtered, unheated tank?...

• What kinds of easy-care fish can I keep in a five-gallon, filtered, unheated tank?

What kinds of easy-care fish can I keep in a five-gallon, filtered, unheated tank? Other Pet Discussions
      How many can I keep, and how expensive are they?Okay, are there any suggestions other than goldfish or bettas? I've considered keeping a betta in it, and my goldfish will shortly be evicted from this tank because it is way too small for him at the rate he is growing. Could any other fish be all right?In the summer the tank gets to about 75 degrees, in the winter it goes to 60-65 degrees. How much would a heater cost for a five gallon tank?

What kinds of easy-care fish can I keep in a five-gallon, filtered, unheated tank? Other Pet Discussions
    • Don't get goldfish - even 1 small 10 cent goldfish needs at least a 10 gallon, heavily-filtered, heavily-aerated tank, and will eventually need at least a 30 gallon tank.You could get 1 male betta, or Siamese Fighting Fish. However, if your room temperature is below 76 degrees, you really should get a small heater. Below 76 degrees, they can become sluggish, dull, and inactive. Check out the sites I've included for more info on betta care. There's a lot of myths surrounding these fish, however, so be careful.Other than bettas, you could probably keep a few guppies in a tank that size.Good luck!

• Rasboras are hardy, and you can keep up to 5 in the 5 gallon. Harlequin Rasboras are very pretty, and they school nicely. You should stay away from tetras - they're not beginner fish, especially for a first time tank. Catfish are a good choice, too, as long as you cycle first and make sure you keep a well cycled, stable tank. They are ammonia sensitive and high nitrates can harm their barbels.Guppies, mollies, platys and other livebearers are good beginner fish as well, although mollies and platys tend to get larger/produce more waste and so they should have a 10 gallon.You can keep 1 goldfish in a 5 gallon (for a little bit...). Goldfish are HUGE waste producers. The only reason they're considered good bowl/neglect candidates is they're cheap and easily replaceable. They are hardy, yes, but their lifespan will be dramatically short (they can live 15-30 years in good conditions) if they aren't taken care of properly.You can keep 2 or 3 African Dwarf Frogs in a 5 gallon, but they like a well planted tank, and the plants can sometimes be more of a hassle than the frogs (:A standard heater for a 5 gallon will run you an average of $10. Smaller tanks sometimes don't heat well, and so you may have to spend a little more money to get a higher quality heater to prevent a temperature disaster. If you don't want to deal with that, minnows are your best bet for that temperature range.

• You could keep 3-5 white cloud minnows or 5 rosy red minnows or 2 of one kind and 3 of the other and have yourself a little community tank. Those are the only coldwater fish I know of besides goldfish. A 5 gallon tank is way too small for goldfish, so that kind of limits you. You could also keep an albino dwarf frog or two in there. Or you could have an apple snail or a mystery snail. In fact, you could include a snail with any of the above in a 5 gallon tank.

• a group of 5 white cloud mountain minnows would go nice in there but theyd have to be the ONLY fish in the tank and frequent water changes done.there small, fast and kinda pretty and do well in cooler-cold water but are a schooling fish.depending on where you are a betta could need a heater in the winter!

• Tiger barbs are pretty, very colorful and inexpensive. Just don't mix them with other kinds of fish cause they're aggressive. Angel fish may do well if they're not mixed with other kinds, but i'd limit them to 2 or 3 at the most.

• ok, NO GOLDFISH! They need lots of room! The minimum is 10 gallons per fish, but 15-20 is really recommended. Plus goldfish get big! Fancy goldfish get 6 inches at the smallest if given proper care! If they are not given enough room their growth will be stunted and there internal organs will continue to grow until either an internal organ ruptures and they die OR an internal organ stops working and they die. If you but a 20 gallon tank, now we are talking and you can get fancy goldfish! Btw, fancy goldfish get about 6 inches long, that is the smallest type of goldfish. You may hear people tell you that comet goldfish commonly sold as feeders only get 2-3 inches, that is not true. They need MORE room than fancies and get a foot or longer! Also, Betta's are a good choice. As long as your room temp never drops below 75F, you can have a beta in there with no heater. If your house is cooler than that you will need to buy a heater for a bets. I say Zebra danios! About 5 in there would do good. You can get them in so many different variety's! Long finned short finned, gold, blue and normal! No the blue is not dyed, just a trait bred by humans. Well, rummy nose tetras are also a good choice, but you would only be able to keep 3 or 4 in there. But please do not get goldfish, they are not a good fish for that tank!Edit:Good suggesstion ghost shrimp fan! Minows would be good in that tank! But not guppies, research whatever fish you want b4 getting it cuz some fish suggested here are tropical and need heaters.

• Since you already know that the tank is too small for goldfish, I won't badger you about not putting any more goldfish in that tank. A betta is probably the best choice for your tank. The only fish that will fit in size wise are tropical fish, but they require a heater. A heater really doesn't cost too much for that size tank. If you bought one your options would increase.

• Ive had some great luck with several of the mid-size Gouramis in that size tank. I would suggest one fish and maybe one snail to help keep it clean. The best Gouramis would be the Blue, Gold or Opaline you could also go with a Blue Paradise Fish which might be better because of its smaller size. The Gouramis are in a similar family as the betta and have two "feelers" that make them interesting to watch interact with tank decor. Hope this helps