How to teach your dog to kick their back legs while swimming?

I have a 1 year old Portuguese Water dog who can't swim! She can kick her front legs but doesn't kick her back legs and her butt sinks. How can I teach her to swim? I put her in the pool with a floaty on her butt and she can swim, but otherwise she just…

I have a 1 year old Portuguese Water dog who can't swim! She can kick her front legs but doesn't kick her back legs and her butt sinks. How can I teach her to swim? I put her in the pool with a floaty on her butt and she can swim, but otherwise she just…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How to teach your dog to kick their back legs while swimming?...

• How to teach your dog to kick their back legs while swimming?

How to teach your dog to kick their back legs while swimming? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a 1 year old Portuguese Water dog who can't swim! She can kick her front legs but doesn't kick her back legs and her butt sinks. How can I teach her to swim? I put her in the pool with a floaty on her butt and she can swim, but otherwise she just can't. How can I teach her?

How to teach your dog to kick their back legs while swimming? Other Pet Discussions
    • i dont think you can teach a dog to swim, they either can or they cant. But make sure to support back legs so she doesnt sink and dont leave her in the pool or with pool axcess when shes unattended, she could drown if you arent careful

• The problem with a pool is that it's an all or nothing proposition. She doesn't have a chance to gradually build her confidence. Try taking her to a beach or to a pool with a "zero depth" entrance. I taught my portie to swim by letting him play along the shore of a lake. When I waded out into deeper water, he swam out to me on his own. The key is to not force your dog into scary situations in the water.

• Who on earth gave Skeerguy the TD? That is exactly the right answer. A very gently sloping beach with a seamless transition from wading to swimming will build any dog's confidence and muscle strength.