Can you help me explain why I should get our dog fixed?

My boyfriend is against getting our 7 mo. old Boston Terrier neutered, and I'm searching for solid evidence on why we should do it.

My boyfriend is against getting our 7 mo. old Boston Terrier neutered, and I'm searching for solid evidence on why we should do it....
    General Dog Discussions : Can you help me explain why I should get our dog fixed?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can you help me explain why I should get our dog fixed?

Can you help me explain why I should get our dog fixed? General Dog Discussions
      My boyfriend is against getting our 7 mo. old Boston Terrier neutered, and I'm searching for solid evidence on why we should do it.

Can you help me explain why I should get our dog fixed? General Dog Discussions
    • Two dogs of the opposite sex, if left alone for 5 years, would produce 10,000 more dogs once they all got going. Also, neutered dogs are much more docile and less prone to biting people, resulting in those pesky lawsuits.

• because these dogs are super hyper and after u get a dog fixed they calm down alot. and if it is a male he wont go around humping everything in sight or gettin his stuff on your clothes and all over the house. o n if it is a female then it wont bleed all over. every dog i have ever had is fixed. unless u are going to breed them u should always do it

• So SHE won't have puppies or HE won't impregnate another female and have puppies. There are too many dogs that go unloved in this world. Neutering controls the pet population. Also, after neutering, the dogs of either sex or more docile.

• 1. Too many unwanted animals in animal shelters. Unless you are a serious breeder, you should get him neutered so he doesn't end up contributing to that population.2. It will prevent or reduce the risk of getting certain types of cancer when he is older (eg, testicular cancer).3. Behavioral - when walking him, he will be content to walk with you and smell the flowers. If unneutered, any female in the vicinity who is in heat will drive him wild and he will stop listening to you.

• The health of the dog number #1. Males, human or canine, can get testicular cancer. #2 your dog will be less aggressive towards other animals. #3 Do you want to be responsible for a litter of puppies that no one wants?Love animals the best way you can. Spay and neuter is for their health as well as the health of all breeds. If you dog is not considered breeding stock, for the show ring then don't create more problems in the breed.

• talk to your vet if you want solid evidence. I can tell you that neutering while young will prevent some health problems in old age, and it will help ensure that there will not be any unwanted puppies. Your boyfriend is taking it to personally. Tell him to get over it.

• Um, what is the solid evidence for NOT doing it? Getting your puppy neutered will help ease its temperament as well as prevent any unwanted puppies. You use condoms, don't you (or some form of BC)? Why in God's name wouldn't you provide your dog with the same protection? And why would you want to increase the amount of random, muttly dogs in the world? Does your bf have ANY idea of the number of dogs euthanized (KILLED) each year? In my small town (90,000 people) alone, last year it was 1284 dogs euthanized because people did not want them. If your bf does not see the sense in this, I would suggest finding a new bf!

• There are many benefits to neutering male puppies. First and foremost, you won't have to worry about having any more puppies on your hands.Aside from the obvious, neutering can also cause many desired behavioral changes in male dogs. Generally, the dog will calm down, which with terriers can be a good thing. Also, you won't have to worry as much about the male dog deciding to run away, as they sometimes will when they've still got those hormones. Another thing to consider is if you ever decide to get another dog or cat, or have children. Any of these things can cause a male dog to become territorial and start spraying urine to mark his area. Neutering will also reduce the chances of this.What is it exactly that bothers your boyfriend so much? If he is worried about the surgery, you can assure him that it is entirely routine, and that the veterinarian will administer the appropriate drugs so that your puppy feels as little pain as possible.If he is simply just worried about your little guy losing his manhood, perhaps there are other things you could look into. Breeding dogs, for example, if done correctly, properly, and humanely, can actually be quite the asset.

• If you are not Breeders, then your dog should be fixed. Your dog will live a happier healthier life after being neutered. Also take your boyfriend to the local shelter and show him all the dogs that NEED homes and are going to be put down because people who don't know what they are doing just let their dogs breed. Also, take him to the vet and let the vet give him concrete reasons. Good Luck KG

• An unfixed male dog has two things on his mind--sex and being TOP DOG. If your boyfriend wants to be top dog in the house and never have to worry about fighting with the other dog, he should get him fixed. That'll put him in his place permanently. A fixed male dog is no longer concerned about sex, but more interested in doing things with his humans--and food. If you want to train your dog to do tricks, etc., getting him fixed will help him keep his mind on his business and let him enjoy it more. He also won't be running around looking for pretty bitches and jumping fences.

• There are several health benefits to neutering. One of the most important concerns the prostate gland, which under the influence of testosterone will gradually enlarge over the course of the dog’s life. In age, it is likely to become uncomfortable, possibly being large enough to interfere w/defecation. The prostate under the influence of testosterone is also predisposed to infection which is almost impossible to clear up without neutering. Neutering causes the prostate to shrink into insignificance thus preventing both prostatitis as well as the uncomfortable benign hyperplasia (enlargement) that occurs with aging. Other health benefits of neutering include the prevention of certain types of hernias and tumors of the testicles and anus. Excessive preputial discharge is also reduced by neutering.The only behavior changes that are observed after neutering relate to behaviors influenced by male hormones. Playfulness, friendliness, and socialization with humans are not changed. The behaviors that change are far less desirable. The interest in roaming is eliminated in 90% of neutered dogs. Aggressive behavior against other male dogs is eliminated in 60% of neutered dogs. Urine marking is eliminated in 50% of neutered male dogs. Inappropriate mounting is eliminated in 70% of neutered dogs.Activity level and appetite do not change with neutering. A male dog should not gain weight or become less interested in activity post neuter.His interest will be reduced but if he is around a female dog in heat, he will become aroused by her. Mounting behavior often has roots in the expression of dominance and may be expressed by a neutered male in a variety of circumstances that are not motivated by sexuality.

• A neutered dog will not be susceptible to testicular or prostate cancer.Neutering nearly eliminates the risk of perineal hernias, and penile tumours.A neutered dog will not be as inclined to wander the streets and risk being hit by a car.Neutered dogs are much happier when their hormone levels are not raging.A neutered male will have a 50% chance of having a longer life.Neutered males will show a drastic decrease in the desire to mark territory. This includes inside the house.Neutered males are less aggressive without the raging testosterone.A dog who has been neutered young is much calmer in the house and outside. He is no longer driven to roam in search of a mate, reducing risk of being hit by a car. Neutered males are no longer subject to fits of escapism when a local female is in heat.A neutered male dog is a happy dog. And owners of neutered dogs are often much happier with the results as well..FACT.. A dog doesn't place a value on the 'family jewels' as humans do, so he won't give a care, once the soreness is gone..FACT: It will not make him effeminate.ALL Police K9 dogs are neutered/spayed...They are not sissies.

• Okay, but have either of you asked the dog for his opinion? It's his nuts that are comin' off, after all. I mean, why do people just go ahead and assume it's cool with the dog? What if it was the other way around? You're sittin' in the corner and your canine masters are discussing your reproductive system over big bowls of Purina Chow, the kind that makes its own gravy. Whoa! Not so fast, huh? Seems like you need to hire one a them dog channelers for this one. Hells bells, even a Tickle Me Elmo doll gets two "test-tickles" before it leaves the factory...

• You say neutered-----so that means your dog is male...This is probably the best for your B.T. for the following reasons-- there won't be any spraying (of DNA); the dog will be more doscile and easier to obedience train; the dog is more likely to not wander off from your yard should the gate be left open; less chewing on everything but the toys----------your Vet. can add more --but having the surgery (it's best between now and 10 mos.) will yield a much happier owner and dog-baby........Wally

• All of the above reasons and more. But! Lots of boys are anxious about getting dogs neutered because of the whole "loss of balls" thing. Look up "neuticles" online...they are fake!! Almost all vets can do it, too. I'm listing the link to the site below. The flash intro is great.