How much does it cost to have a cat declawed?

We adopted a 2 year old cat about 6 months ago and she is very sweet, very good with my kids. However she has a tendency to scratch and has scratched the kids on the face a few times. I'm worried about what could happen... How much does it cost to have…

We adopted a 2 year old cat about 6 months ago and she is very sweet, very good with my kids. However she has a tendency to scratch and has scratched the kids on the face a few times. I'm worried about what could happen... How much does it cost to have…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How much does it cost to have a cat declawed?...

• How much does it cost to have a cat declawed?

How much does it cost to have a cat declawed? Other Pet Discussions
      We adopted a 2 year old cat about 6 months ago and she is very sweet, very good with my kids. However she has a tendency to scratch and has scratched the kids on the face a few times. I'm worried about what could happen... How much does it cost to have her declawed, what is the cat's recovery time, she's indoor only so any other concerns I should know about.

How much does it cost to have a cat declawed? Other Pet Discussions
    • My cats recovered fine. Probably took about 2 days until they were themselves again. I called around and the best price in my area was $75, the average was about $90 for both front paws. Don't do the back claws so she can still jump. Sometimes when you get them declawed, they don't like to use the litter box anymore but mine had no problem whatsoever. Hope that helps.

• I honestly wouldn't suggest declawing your cat. It is the cruelest thing you can do to a cat, especially an adult one. Their personalities change entirely, rarely for the better. Imagine if someone would remove the tips of each of fingers and toes to the first knuckle, it is virtually the same thing that they do to cats when declawing them. It is an amputation of the tips of each digit to their first knuckle and this is what prevents the nail from regrowing. The same you'd go through to keep from regrowing nails.My parents had a cat that once she was declawed, she was never the same loving cat she was before. Currently I have two cats, neither declawed, both adopted and both trained not to use their claws. Be sure to have lots of scratching posts (preferably sisal, carpet will add to the tendency to scratch carpeting) or scratching pads that lay on the floor (one of my cats only uses one of these.) Cut their nails on a regular basis and this should help the problem. You can also train the cat not to use her nails by giving stern "no" each time that they do, set them down, and leave them be for five minutes. Eventually she will learn that she will not get attention by using her claws.If you absolutely must get the claws removed, do your research. Be sure that you are going to a trusted and experienced vet, many are not as good as they seem. Research if there are any methods that are less painful, I believe that there is a laser method that is less painful.In the end, I do not recommend declawing your cat, but as long she is in a loving home and gets the care she deserves, I can not complain. There are many resources out there for further information:http://www.declawing.comhttp://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/catdc.htmlhttp://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/CATS/catdeclawing.HTM http://www.cfainc.org/health/declawing.html

• in Florida, the going rate for a de-claw procedure is $150-$250. it requires the cat to be under general anesthesia, because a de-claw is an amputation of the first knuckle of each digit. cats are on heavy-duty narcotics for the next 2 days, and need to stay at the vets to make sure they have no complications. Every practice i have worked at refuses to declaw a cat over the age of 1 year or over 10 pounds. also, any cat person, or groomer of cats, or individual very involved with cats will tell you a vast majority become more aggresive after a de-claw; they learn to use their teeth instead of their claws. i have 5 cats and not one is de-clawed. i refuse to assist in the de-claw surgery due to my ethical stance. good luck, please explore other options prior to doing this procedure.

• It depends on where u live. Check with your local vet. My cat has been declawed for about 8 years now and he does fine, he spends time out side with other cats that are not declawed and has never gotten hurt. It only took him a few days to recover and you just have to help them not jump too much and use paper in the litter box until they heal.

• It didn't cost too much. Although when they get declawed, they are sour and it looks REALLY DISGUSTING but as far as I know there are much crueler things and if she is posing a danger to your family or something or someone else, you should get her declawed. After about 2 days they go back to themselves, and i don't think it costs over one hundred dollars. I would recommend it although i wish my cat hadn't been declawed, it sounds like it's best for your family and your cat. After a few days it will look normal again.

• Please think long and hard before declawing your cat - it really is cruel to the animal, especially an older one. We have a Siamese Cat that has quite a temper too, and will scratch, but we have just learned how to handle her, so that we don't get scratched. Perhaps you could teach your kids to stay away from the cat, instead. This is what we had to do with ours.

• Reputable vets in our area refused to do adult declaws because of a longer recovery time following the amputation and psychological trauma that can follow. Not every cat recovers after 2 days- I've seen a few cats whose paws NEVER healed correctly. Each cat may be affected differently, however I have seen enough severe behavior changes from older cats after undergoing a declawing to warn people against it as it is essentially playing Russian roulette with your cats temperament. Declawing is actually illegal in many European countries, unfortunately it remains popular here because people view it as a quick fix for behavior issues and don’t realize the negatives that can come with it. One example of this was a study I did of 4 paw declawed cats that were surrendered to our shelter over a three year period. All but one were surrendered for litter box problems, and a majority had to be adopted out of foster homes because they either became too skittish or aggressive to be adopted out at the shelter. Would the owners have changed their mind had the vet told them this could happen? I would hope you would consult with a behaviorist and do research before coming to this decision. You may be surprised to find that you can easily solve this problem in other ways. One book you may want to look through for better understanding by a wonderful feline behaviorist and veterinarian Dr. Nicholas Dodman called “The Cat Who Cried for Help". It sounds like you have a wonderful cat the way she is, and I wish you the best. :)

• go to a doctor- have your fingers cut off to below the first joint- then have your cats declawed.it amounts to the same thing- buy a scratching post- get carpets squares and nail them knee height around yuor house on the walls.that is what I did and is a LOT more humane.

• I didn't want to get my cat declawed, so I bought these things called "Soft Paws" for them. They are little claw covers. You put them on and they last about 4-6 weeks before they start falling off and you have to replace them. It is a humane alternative to declawing.

• Since you are worried about your cat scratching, and lots of people (including myself) believe declawing to be a cruel process, I thought I would let you know about some alternates. What I do with my cats I find to be the simplest. I just keep their claws trimmed. Trimmed claws are not sharp and don't scratch. Even if your cat is not accustomed to getting held still and being clipped at first, he/she will get used to it over time if you are firm and comforting. The best tool I have found is regular human nail clippers. If you really can't stand clipping them, vets and pet boutiques will do it for you.There are also plastic claw tips that you can have put on your cats claws. Try www.softpaws.com

• Don't declaw your cat, it's cruel. How would you like someone to cut off you finger from the first knuckle. Besides, every cat I've even known of that is declawed starts to bite. Get the plastic tips put on by a vet. Cheaper and more humane.

• I had Twinkie Dink de-clawed and neutered both at the same time - 16 weeks. I cost $50, but i live in a small town in Georgia.Both of my babies are indoor babies and NO i don't think declawing is inhumane. My babies are secure and safe and very loving!Check around for a local vet and call and ask...don't hurt to ask. And don't let others give you grief either or call you "inhuman" because you had your furbaby declawed.Some folks just need to get a grip...as for the "soft claws" don't waste your time unless you want to constantly replace the things.Just my opinion - and I am allowed one.