How do I move my cat to another state?

I'm worried about transporting my cat over 2500 miles to move from California to New York. Any suggestions?

I'm worried about transporting my cat over 2500 miles to move from California to New York. Any suggestions?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I move my cat to another state?...

• How do I move my cat to another state?

How do I move my cat to another state? Other Pet Discussions
      I'm worried about transporting my cat over 2500 miles to move from California to New York. Any suggestions?

How do I move my cat to another state? Other Pet Discussions
    • Dude, it should be fine. just keep your cat indoors for a couple of weeks in your new place otherwise it might run away because it could be scared of being in new environments - they have a freaky tendency to find their way home. My cat was very afraid in my car. If it is too afraid, and you are concerned it might run-off when you stop for a break, I suggest you put it in a cage before you get out of the car (don't forget).

• I am assuming you are going by car.Some cats will travel well while others absolutely hate it. Take your cat out in the car for a "test" drive to see how it does. If it becomes stressed, I would suggest you contact your vet and get some tranquilizers to calm the cat during the trip. Allow time in the day for the cat to have food and water (provided it doesn't get car sick), and some time to use a litter box. You can get disposable litter boxes now. I usually just take one from home and scoop it after the cat uses it, and then wrap it up in a large garbage bag until the next use. Have you ever tried walking your cat on a leash? This would allow the cat to get a little exercise. Use a harness instead of a regular collar. Otherwise, the cat can get away. I wouldn't try this unless you have worked with the cat prior to the trip as this could be another cause of stress.Many people will let their cats out of the cage when in the car. I do not recommend that as it could become a distraction and put you and the cat at risk.Good luck on your move.

• I bought a dog when I was on vacation in Massachusetts and I flu home to Seattle,Washington with him. I had to buy a special carrier for the plane plus tickets. If your driving you need to get the cat motion sick-nus pills,cat carrier, kitty bed or hold (him or her) on your lap. kitty litter box. Lots of food and water, leash and Collier.

• You didn't say whether you are driving or flying?If flying, ask your airlines about putting the carrier under your seat on the plane rather than in the cargo hold. There are horror stories told about animals shipped in the hold.If driving and if there is time before the trip, start by taking the cat for short rides in the car in it's carrier. Before time for the actual move, contact your vet for copies of it's health records and medication to help relax it for the trip. (Be sure it is explained to you how to use the medication) Also, plan how you are going to feed, water, and provide a litter box for your cat. While driving, cover the carrier with a sheet or towell to provide a dark hidey place. Your cat will feel more secure and won't be made sick by watching the tops of trees and telephone poles speed by.Take extra precaution when transporting to the motel room and back to the car that your cat doesn't get away from you. Same for when he's in the room and the door is opened as you come and go. If he gets loose, he will be terrified and head for the hills.Good luck -- hope it all goes smoothly for you.

• If you are driving put them in kitty cadies and drive them down or up depends where you are going.If you are flying somrtimes you can bring them on as carry ons and store them under the chair so they wont get sick or die in the belly of the plane.