Is there any way to discourage a kitten from chewing on houseplants?

We've moved the plants from the windowsill to hanging from the ceiling away from things she can climb and shortened the hangars. Now she jumps from the floor onto the plants! We can't get them any higher than they are. Any ideas? We're stumped.

Is there any way to discourage a kitten from chewing on houseplants?

We've moved the plants from the windowsill to hanging from the ceiling away from things she can climb and shortened the hangars. Now she jumps from the floor onto the plants! We can't get them any higher than they are. Any ideas? We're stumped....
    Other Pet Discussions : Is there any way to discourage a kitten from chewing on houseplants?...

• Plant live grass in a flower pot, kittens as well as adults seem to need greens.

• yes there is a way but you should have some type of plant she can chew on because it is very health for her and some times she needs it. They ways that other people said are very helpful though too.

• spray the cat with an water gun everytime you catch him on the plant it is a true fact that it works for I looked up a book about how to train kittens when I had one and it is completely harmless and it works if you are consistent I was truly amazed with the results

• a very inexpensive and safe solution is to use 1 parts vinegar to 2 parts water - either spay on plant leaves or use cotton ball to apply - the odor and bitter taste will discourage the kitten (*do not allow too much on the plants as this is acidic and could harm the soil nutrients)**also put the plants in higher places,until the kitten grows a bit and would understand being corrected

• Give the cat a plentiful supply of grass. Cats and dogs benefit from this. However, if the cat continues, don't make the plant awkwardly perched. Also, if you try to discourage it, don't get frustrated; cats aren't very intelligent (although, they are very good at understanding human emotions).

• The water gun is indeed a good idea. The problem is the cat will soon find out that when you are not there, the water gun is also not there! I have once seen people doing it in their garden: as soon as the cat started chewing, they switched on a water sprinkling system in the garden, from their kitchen. It worked.

• There is a spray that we used on my dog called Bitter Apple Spray. My dog used to bite on the leg of our wooden chair, so we sprayed it with Bitter Apple Spray. As soon as he tasted the spray on the chair, he backed away from it. A few times he would still go and bite it, so we would spray it again. He doesn't do it anymore, so if you want to spray it on your plant, spray it often.

• The best way to discipline cats/kittens is with a strongly worded 'No' and a water pistol. Of course, give them a cuddle afterwards, but they will eventually get the message, and then a strongly worded 'No' will work for anything.

• Lavender. Cats generally hate the smell of lavender and will not want to go anywhere near it. My kitten was scratching at some antique furniture until I put some lavender oil on it and there was no more problem!

• Buy one of those cheap squirty plastic bottles and fill with water, when your beloved kitty jumps on the plants squirt the water at them. Its the shock you're after and the kitty soon associates the shock with the plants and leaves them alone! If water doesn't work then use and empty plastic bottle, fill with dried peas or rice, put the lid on and shake at the cat when it jumps on the plants. Again the shock is what you are after. It may sound cruel but it does the cat no harm at all, and really works a treat.

• Get yourself to the pet store, or even Wal Mart and buy some Cat Grass. It comes in it's own planter and grows well indoors. She's looking for something sweet to either settle an upset stomach or she needs to cough up a hairball, or any number of things. But the cat grass will give her what she wants, and she'll leave everything else alone.