How do I get my dog to stop peeing when he gets excited?

He's a 14-month old Australian Shepherd named Sydney. He's a really loveable dog that enjoys meeting new people and being petted. Sometimes he gets so exicited he loses bladder control. Last week, I took him for a walk downtown and he peed on a Girl…

He's a 14-month old Australian Shepherd named Sydney. He's a really loveable dog that enjoys meeting new people and being petted. Sometimes he gets so exicited he loses bladder control. Last week, I took him for a walk downtown and he peed on a Girl…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my dog to stop peeing when he gets excited?...

• How do I get my dog to stop peeing when he gets excited?

How do I get my dog to stop peeing when he gets excited? Other Pet Discussions
      He's a 14-month old Australian Shepherd named Sydney. He's a really loveable dog that enjoys meeting new people and being petted. Sometimes he gets so exicited he loses bladder control. Last week, I took him for a walk downtown and he peed on a Girl Scout's foot. She was wearing flip flops. I had to buy three boxes of thin mints.

How do I get my dog to stop peeing when he gets excited? Other Pet Discussions
    • Check out this site for that problem......http://www.perfectpaws.com/excur.html I'll add more if i can find the one i want...here it is... During excitement, young dogs often spontaneously urinate. They have no control over this and sometimes do not even realize it has occurred. Other dogs may urinate as a sign of submission in the presence of another animal (or person) that they consider dominant. Submissive urination is sometimes seen in puppies or young dogs that have been abused. However, many puppies that have submissive urination Puppyare perfectly normal and from good backgrounds. These types of urination problems seem to be caused by either a lack of neuromuscular control over the bladder or by previous treatment that frightened or intimidated the puppy.Owners should try to determine what actions or events cause the involuntary urination to occur. For some, this will be easy. Excitement or sudden movement toward the puppy may cause her to urinate. For others, it might be something as simple as direct eye contact. Many puppies urinate when you bend over them, so instead, kneel down to their level. Whatever the cause, do your best to eliminate these situations or actions. Most puppies will outgrow this behavior by six months to a year of age, especially if we let them mature through this stage of their life in a gentle and calm environment. Be patient. When an accident occurs, do not make a fuss. Clean it up and forget it.

• He pees when he first sees someone, right? Gets too excited and can't control himself. Poor boy. The good news is he's most likely grow out of it as he gets older. Until then - the easiest way to fix this is ignore him when you/others first see him. When you get home, don't acknowledge him for the first 5 min or so. Make sure when guests arrive they do the same. Not as easy to do when you're out for a walk. Not sure what to tell you for that when people approach you to pet him.

• Don't whack him. Unfortunately, I was told there was nothing you can do. That may be wrong, but a groomer told me they outgrow it. I have the same problem. But, fortunately my puppy's about 14 months old too and he doesn't really do it anymore! He used to pee all over when one of us got home...he was so excited!

• Don't whack him, it will only make him more nervous. I think the best thing to do is to act really confident and calm. If he does pee, then just act normal and clean it up without making a fuss. Also, ignore him when he gets excited, and don't be afraid to ask others, even strangers, to do the same. Just tell them that you are training him. When you come home, ignore him until he settles down. This will stop the peeing AND establish yourself as the "pack leader," which will make further training easier. Really.

• Contrary to the last answer, punishing the dog can make the problem worse. The problem you are describing is Excitement urination. There are some helpful hints on the ASPCA web site located here: http://www.sspca.org/Dogs_Urination.htmlIf none of the suggestions there work you may want to check with your veterinarian for more help.

• I am sorry but that is something no one can control because I know that for in fact. The reason it does this because it happy to see you or happy to someone new. It brings your dog happiness to see you. I believe you shouldn't bother with it at least your dog is not depress.

• when you come home everyday do not pet the dog untill you have cme in the house and done everything you need to and the dog settled down. i ecnore my doggies till they calm down then pet them cocker spaniels are known to pee and it made them stop pittleing when excited.. once in a great while they may have an accident but it does work