What kind of dog is best if you need to leave it alone for a couple of hours during the day?

My family wants to get a dog but the problem is that during the day nobody is home we are all at work/school. Have any suggestions?

What kind of dog is best if you need to leave it alone for a couple of hours during the day?

My family wants to get a dog but the problem is that during the day nobody is home we are all at work/school. Have any suggestions?...
    Other Pet Discussions : What kind of dog is best if you need to leave it alone for a couple of hours during the day?...

• What kind of dog is best if you need to leave it alone for a couple of hours during the day?

What kind of dog is best if you need to leave it alone for a couple of hours during the day? Other Pet Discussions
      My family wants to get a dog but the problem is that during the day nobody is home we are all at work/school. Have any suggestions?

What kind of dog is best if you need to leave it alone for a couple of hours during the day? Other Pet Discussions
    • If you're going to get a dog, you have to realize it's a very large responsibility. If you have a spacious backyard, a 'doggie door', and a sturdy fence, you could probably have a small or medium dog that gets plenty of exercise on her own.If no one is home to give the dog frequent walks, and if you don't have a yard, you may be better off with a cat. Dogs need a lot of attention, love, and playtime. A large dog would be definitely out of the question.

• A golden retriver! I have one and we leave him home alone for six hours a day! Dont get a husky or mix of a husky because they will eat your house! And dig! Trust me

• I agree. The absolutely best solution would be to adopt an older dog from a rescue organization. Older dogs who are already house broken can usually be left home alone for as much as six hours at a time. Going to a local rescue group that fosters its dogs out will usually assure that you can talk to someone who has actually lived with the dog. Adult dogs are just as good as puppies for bonding with. I have had both dogs I've had from puppyhood and adult rescues, and often the rescues are actually more dedicated and loving because they know what you've done for them.I'm attaching a link below for Petfinder.com, where you can search for any breed of dog you like from local rescue groups. I would recommend a larger dog, because they are usually calmer and have larger bladders so they don't pee as often. (Well, in my experience)

• More than the breed is the personality, age and where you plan on keeping it and how much it will be a part of the family when you ARE home. Don't get a puppy, they require too much care. An adult will be far more able to handle being left alone and inactive. A calm dog with no anxiety issues would work best. Keep the dog in a crate when no one is home- dogs honestly don't mind being crated, and it keeps them out of trouble! When people are home, make sure it gets to be out and a part of the family, and is given plenty of excercise.A great place to get the dog would be a rescue group- they will be able to match a dog's personality with your needs; the dog will be up to date on all its health needs, thoroughly vetted and most likely have had at least basic training. They will be there for you after you adopt the dog, for the life of the dog, should you have questions, need help, ot no longer be able to keep the dog.Also, have you considered getting 2 dogs? They can keep each other company then.