Has anyone experienced Transitional cell carcinoma in your dogs?

My dog has complications urinating and his prostate was checked and was normal size. Vet took sample of his urine and noticed some transitional cells in his urine, but not an extreme amount at all. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this in their…

My dog has complications urinating and his prostate was checked and was normal size. Vet took sample of his urine and noticed some transitional cells in his urine, but not an extreme amount at all. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this in their…...
    General Dog Discussions : Has anyone experienced Transitional cell carcinoma in your dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Has anyone experienced Transitional cell carcinoma in your dogs?

Has anyone experienced Transitional cell carcinoma in your dogs? General Dog Discussions
      My dog has complications urinating and his prostate was checked and was normal size. Vet took sample of his urine and noticed some transitional cells in his urine, but not an extreme amount at all. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this in their dog and if they were able to get their dog cured from this? And if there is a cure for it? Thanks

Has anyone experienced Transitional cell carcinoma in your dogs? General Dog Discussions
    • Transitional cells can happen with a bad infection or irritation of the bladder as well especially in the low numbers you are seeing it doesn't necessarily mean bladder cancer (typically TCC) My boy had some show up in his urine as well during UTI we had a problem getting rid of. He was sent for an ultrasound to rule out underlying problems (including bladder cancer) and it was clean, just ended up being a nasty bug we had a trouble getting rid of. So don't jump to the conclusion of bladder cancer because of a few cells with out further testing. Sadly if your boy does have bladder cancer the success rate of treating it is pretty low unless the tumor is very confined and in an area it an be removed fully

• transitional cells are not uncommon to see in urine. Any irritation can cause increased amounts. It depends on what they look like. Bizarre transitional cells with abnormal features are concerning for bladder cancer, although severe irritaiton such as from an infection or stones can cause them to look abnormal. If the dog has problems urinating and the prostate is ok, I would worry about bladder stones and bladder cancer (most commonly transitional cell carcinoma). Radiographs can detect most stones (some types will not show up). Tumors in the bladder can sometimes be hard to see on radiographs and the best method is ultrasound. Unfortuantly most dogs are not cured of this cancer. Response to treatment depends on location and if it has spread. There are various chemotherapy protocols that can prolong an animals life and even cause the tumor to shrink for a while. Unlike human chemo, animals aren't givne as high doses so they don't usually don't have the severe side effects that humans do. However, for most animals the cancer ends up claiming their life. If this does end up being bladder cancer you should see a veterinary oncologist. http://www.acvim.org/websites/acvim/index.php?p=3If you live in the midwest, Purdue has a vet who researches this cancer and is one of the top exerts on it.