How can I work with animals without going the "normal" route?

I want to work either with or for animals in some capacity. However, I don't want to work at an animal hospital or be a groomer, etc. What are some other ways to get into the field and how do I go about it?

I want to work either with or for animals in some capacity. However, I don't want to work at an animal hospital or be a groomer, etc. What are some other ways to get into the field and how do I go about it?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I work with animals without going the "normal" route?...

• How can I work with animals without going the "normal" route?

How can I work with animals without going the "normal" route? Other Pet Discussions
      I want to work either with or for animals in some capacity. However, I don't want to work at an animal hospital or be a groomer, etc. What are some other ways to get into the field and how do I go about it?

How can I work with animals without going the "normal" route? Other Pet Discussions
    • You could try volunteering for a shelter, pet rescue service, or even go to work for a pet/pet supply store. Like Petsmart or something similar. If you are worried about mess, it may not be right for you, most animal jobs involve mess. However, if you are concerned about being around hurting animals, I don't blame you. Check your local phone book under Pet, or internet search.

• You could study the use of homeopathic remedies for pets. In many cases, these work better than drugs and are much easier on the animal. Another very helpful and compassionate thing to do is learn about "pet therapy" and begin to offer your services to local nursing homes, group homes, homeless shelters, places where sick kids are recovering from long term illnesses and need cheering up. The response to people bringing in a well behaved pet to these kinds of places is very positive and helps lift depression. In my town, there is a person who has been doing this for years and there was an article in the local paper about her and the positive response she always gets. You could also study how to train animals to be guide dogs for the blind. You could become a law enforcement officer and take training to become the primary handler for the K-9 Corps police dog on the force. You could become a dog obedience instructor and start your own obedience school. You could start a pet sitting business for people who are going to be gone and don't want to board their pets at the kennel but prefer to leave them at home and have someone come in and feed them and walk them. You could learn to become an animal breeder and breed high quality pets and sell them. You could earn good money this way. You could work with a rescue organization that rescues abused and neglected pets, rehabilitates them and adopts them out to good homes. These organizations can be found online - one is called Rottweiler Rescue. Another idea is to open a pet store. Good luck!

• You could be a pet-sitter. Have your home pet-proofed, then pass out pamplets for advertisement. Tell them "First Come, First Serve. No more than 3-5 pets in my house at a time." Have your contact #s on the pamplet. Charge $5.00 an hour.Maybe more, depending on if they bring their own food.