What is the best way to potty train my jack russell terrier?

I have a five month old jack russell terrier that i just bought about a month ago, I bought her some training pads and most of the time she pees on it but when she wants to poop she wants to go in her crate . How do I stop her from doing that?

I have a five month old jack russell terrier that i just bought about a month ago, I bought her some training pads and most of the time she pees on it but when she wants to poop she wants to go in her crate . How do I stop her from doing that?...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best way to potty train my jack russell terrier?...

• What is the best way to potty train my jack russell terrier?

What is the best way to potty train my jack russell terrier? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a five month old jack russell terrier that i just bought about a month ago, I bought her some training pads and most of the time she pees on it but when she wants to poop she wants to go in her crate . How do I stop her from doing that?

What is the best way to potty train my jack russell terrier? Other Pet Discussions
    • dog trainer 30 plus years - I am going to give you what I do for my clients & what I give to those who want to do the training on their own. I sure hope it helps.Potty Training Your Puppy:Puppies are just like children who are being potty trained he will need you to do the leading. He is not going to be able to “let you know” in a specific way that is easy for you. Most dogs sniff & drop to go. It is a quick sniff when he really has to go...other times he is more studious in checking out the right place. When he has gone potty outside take note if it was #1 and or #2. Your pup will poo about 2-3x a day where as he pee’s about 8-10x a day. The only way I can tell you that works without fail is: If no one is watching him someone put his leash on and put it in your pocket. That way you can do what needs to be done in the home and keep an eye on him rather easily as well. This is also an opportunity to leash train him. When he “doesn’t feel like it” (just like children) he will go belly down to the ground and not walk...if he’s been walking a while this is understandable but if he has not...it is just a puppy testing boundaries. Pull him up (not with anger or loud commands - just your regular voice) and say “Up -state his name then say...time to walk” a three straight whistle sound and “up, up, up” while you keep moving will help. He will be at times stubborn (just like all of us) so do not give in. It is at this time where you are teaching him who is going to be “the leader of the pack”. You can prove this to be him...or the family by the chronic choices that you make. Potty times need to be “at ease” time...not “hurry up and go”. When a pup is hurried they lose concentration, get confused and frustrated and can’t go...then go inside relax and potty. They know you want inside, therefore they will go inside to please you without finishing their job as well. So when taking him outside...and I stress this even though it makes life more inconvenient for you and those helping with training...do not give him full lead of the yard, keep him on his leash. Walk him only in a small portion of the yard while saying soothingly “go po-T outside -state his name” over and over again. When he goes make it a small praise “Good po-T outside-state his name...now finish.” If he poo’s he will need to pee before going back inside. Do not let him run or play during potty time outside. The only time he is to run freely outside is when potty time is done as reward. Once it’s done and he is inside he may run and play as long as people are paying attention...if this is not going to happen hook the leash up and put it in your pocket. A lot of people try not to do this part and the only thing it does is prolong potty training time. Just think of it this way...when you potty train a child you keep an eye on them. You sometimes set a timer so that you don’t forget to potty them. A pup is like a child in the fact that they do not know when they have to go until it is almost coming. Set a timer if you have to...but do not expect the pup to “wait” for that specific time. It is up to you to watch and scoop him up quickly without anger or frustration in your voice. A lot of people “spank” a pup when it is their fault that he did not make it outside. When a dog is 5-6 months and has been potty trained a while that may well be appropriate...but not when he is just learning. The more negative you make “go po-T outside” the more confusion and frustration you will bring to your pup. Remember that after feeding and drinking you should potty your pup no less than 10 min after. When you potty them do not say “all done” until he is done sniffing. Some people don’t understand that a pup/dog can go 4x before he is really done. When he stops sniffing and has done his job...then you say “Good po-T outside -state his name. Good job. All done...inside”. That way he knows his job is done. Or if not “inside”....”let’s play”. If you play with major activity make sure he goes again before going inside.I am assisting you in potty training. The more consistent you are the quicker he will learn.If you stay consistent with the rules progress will be made. If one of person caring for the pup is not doing his job it just prolongs the process. People tend to get frustrated at the pup...but it is generally “us” as a whole. Puppies are very smart, and when taught with consistence are generally a quick study...so if you do what you need to to help him....he will catch on. Please remember in this process that “he is trying” so don’t let on if you get “tired of it”. Everyone does have “their day” of that...so if it’s your day...let someone else take the responsibility.