I put my dog to sleep on wednesday night and I am miserable. Did I do the right thing?

He has been sick for the past month. He has problems going to the bathroom; he would leak all over the house (no control). He also had to stay in a cage a lot because of this. His prostate was big and he would strain to go; when he was outside it…

I put my dog to sleep on wednesday night and I am miserable. Did I do the right thing?

He has been sick for the past month. He has problems going to the bathroom; he would leak all over the house (no control). He also had to stay in a cage a lot because of this. His prostate was big and he would strain to go; when he was outside it…...
    General Dog Discussions : I put my dog to sleep on wednesday night and I am miserable. Did I do the right thing?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I am so deeply sorry for your loss. Nothing is worse than losing someone you love so deeply. You did what was right. They say time heals all wounds but you will never forget. Take some time, grieve, then heal. When the time is right you will be able to hold a new puppy, who will never replace but will enrich your life none the less. Below are somethings I have gather. They will make you cry but that's OK. I'll be thinking of you in your time of sorrow.Don't be sad for what you might lose - Be grateful that you ever had it at all - Rejoice in the goodness shared by and with you - And recognize the bounty of the gifts of life and love that will remain with you forever.The Journey When you bring a pet into your life, you begin a journey. A journey that will bring you more love and devotion than you have ever known, yet will also test your strength and courage. If you allow, the journey will teach you many things, about life, about yourself, and most of all, about love. You will come away changed forever, for one soul cannot touch another without leaving its mark. Along the way, you will learn much about savoring life's simple pleasures --jumping in leaves, snoozing in the sun, the joys of puddles, and even the satisfaction of a good scratch behind the ears. If you spend much time outside, you will be taught how to truly experience every element, for no rock, leaf, or log will go unexamined, no rustling bush will be overlooked, and even the very air will be inhaled, pondered, and noted as being full of valuable information. Your pace may be slower, except when heading home to the food dish, but you will become a better naturalist, having been taught by an expert in the field. Too many times we hike on automatic pilot, our goal being to complete the trail rather than enjoy the journey. We miss the details: the colorful mushrooms on the rotting log, the honeycomb in the old maple snag, the hawk feather caught on a twig. Once we walk as a dog does, we discover a whole new world. We stop; we browse the landscape, we kick over leaves, peek in tree holes, look up, down, all around. And we learn what any dog knows, that nature has created a marvelously complex world that is full of surprises, that each cycle of the seasons bring ever changing wonders, each day an essence all its own. Even from indoors you will find yourself more attuned to the world around you. You will find yourself watching: summer insects collecting on a screen; how bizarre they are; how many kinds there are or noting the flick and flash of fireflies through the dark. You will stop to observe the swirling dance of windblown leaves, or sniff the air after a rain. It does not matter that there is no objective in this; the point is in the doing, in not letting life's most important details slip by. You will find yourself doing silly things that your pet-less friends might not understand: spending thirty minutes in the grocery aisle looking for the cat food brand your feline must have, buying dog birthday treats, or driving around the block an extra time because your pet enjoys the ride. You will roll in the snow, wrestle with chewy toys, bounce little rubber balls till your eyes cross, and even run around the house trailing your bathrobe tie with a cat in hot pursuit, all in the name of love. Your house will become muddier and hairier. You will wear less dark clothing and buy more lint rollers. You may find dog biscuits in your pocket or purse, and feel the need to explain that an old plastic shopping bag adorns your living room rug because your cat loves the crinkly sound. You will learn the true measure of love. The steadfast, undying kind that says, "It doesn't matter where we are or what we do, or how life treats us as long as we are together."Respect this always. It is the most precious gift any living soul can give another. You will not find it often among the human race. And you will learn humility. The look in my dog's eyes often made me feel ashamed. Such joy and love at my presence. She saw not some flawed human who could be cross and stubborn, moody or rude, but only her wonderful companion. Or maybe she saw those things and dismissed them as mere human foibles, not worth considering, and so chose to love me anyway. If you pay attention and learn well, when the journey is done, you will be not just a better person, but the person your pet always knew you to be. The one they were proud to call beloved friend. I must caution you that this journey is not without pain. Like all paths of true love, the pain is part of loving. For as surely as the sun sets, one day your dear animal companion will follow a trail you cannot yet go down. And you will have to find the strength and love to let them go. A pet's time on earth is far too short, especially for those that love them. We borrow them, really, just for a while, and during these brief years they are generous enough to give us all their love, every inch of their spirit and heart, until one day there is nothing left. The cat that only yesterday was a kitten is all too soon old and frail and sleeping in the sun. The young pup of boundless energy now wakes up stiff and lame, the muzzle gone to gray. Deep down we somehow always knew that this journey would end. We knew that if we gave our hearts they would be broken. But give them we must for it is all they ask in return. When the time comes, and the road curves ahead to a place we cannot see, we give one final gift and let them run on ahead, young and whole once more. "God speed, good friend," we say, until our journey comes full circle and our paths cross again.Rainbow Bridge"Just this side of Heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge.When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together......."~Anonymous

• I can't relate but I'm really sorry. I've been worrying about that because I just got a dog ( puppy) YOu were just thinking about him. If yyou really know( Knew??) your dog then you would know what your decisioon was good or bad. I think it was good cause prostate cancer is nothing fun to go through!

• It is never easy to make the choice to put your dog to sleep, but it is right choice when he is suffering. We had to put our dog Boots to sleep because of cancer many years ago. You never get entirely over it. Something we found that helped was a website called Dachshund Circus. They have a section called Rainbow Bridge with a beautiful poem that can help put things in perspective: http://www.dachshundcircus.com/dcrainbw.htm. There are a number of other free pet loss support websites out there as well--most of them allow you to post a tribute to your pet and many have discussion forums. After we lost Boots we looked at animal shelters and dachshund breeders for several months and found a new dog. Wolfgang didn't replace Boots. He has an entirely different personality, but he did help fill the hole that Boots' passing left and create a new set of experiences and memories. Nothing anyone can say can speed you through the grieving process, you have to work things through at your own pace. In our case, getting another dog a few months later did help.

• Yes you did. You could have prolonged his life, but would either of you enjoyed the extra time together? You did exactly what a loving pet owner would and should do under the circumstances.

• I'm so sorry for your loss. When you made the decision you made the right one. I truly believe that once a dogs quality of life is gone (being able to enjoy things that he used to) it is best to let them go. Pain and miserary and no way to live.Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... Author unknown...

• Yes, you did the right thing. It really hurts right now but you don't want your dog to be suffering. He's no longer in pain and he's probably thanking you for that. Don't beat yourself up. You did do the right thing and keep telling yourself that. I had to put my cat down after I'd had him for 15 years and it hurt like there was not tomorrow. You will start to feel better before long. Think of all the fun you had with him and dwell on those good times. Pets are lucky because we can choose to end their suffering but we have to watch our human loved ones suffer unbearably with cancer and other dreadful diseases. Sorry, but that really makes me mad. You've got to look after yourself and especailly get some well deserved sleep. Take care.

• I am truly sorry for your loss:( I know that this is a touchy situation to talk about but all I have to say is to remember your lost pet, is to not remember them in death but in the life that you both have lived together, Someone once told me that time will heal all wounds but our memory of them will never go away, when you become old and die, that when you get to heaven you're friend will be there waiting for you.

• You did the right thing. You decided what was best for your dog, this wasn't what was "best" for you. I am so sorry for your loss. Don't ever think that you did the wrong thing. Please visit your shelter and look at all of the dogs that need homes, take your time, but adopt a dog!!! This will help you get beyond the point you are at right now. That is what your dog would want!!

• Raven, I really do know how you feel. I had my little Sarah Jan put to sleep on October 8, 2000, and I still miss her SO much. But you said you could tell your dog didn't feel good, and that he didn't play any more. By the time you decide that putting your dog to sleep is what you have to do, it is definitely the right thing to do. Your dog was very lucky to have someone who loved him enough to make that very difficult decision. You know that he wasn't going to get better, and he had probably known that for a while, too. I wish I knew what to say to make you feel better, but I don't think anyone who loves her dog has EVER had him put to sleep when it wasn't necessary.

• That was the right thing.If you were a dog, would you rather suffer or just move on and live in a better place.I know how it feels.Even though they were my friend's dog they had to put him to sleep, I still cried.I also had a friend whose dog died because of an infected bug bit him, I cried.One day you will feel real good about doing that.

• I know you miss and love him, but his quality of life doesn't sound so great. In my opinion you absolutely did the right thing for your baby. You don't want him to suffer and that is what it sounds like he would have done. I am so sorry for your loss.

• Please be gentle with yourself. You did the most loving thing you could possibly do. He thanks you for helping him get rid of his pain. It's normal to feel guilty, and wonder ..if I only had done this, if I only had done that. But you did the right thing. It is one of the most difficult decisions you will ever make.Make a little memorial to him someway, Plant some flowers in his memory, or put up a plaque with his name and picture on it. Make a donation to a humane society.But don't rush to get another dog. Your heart will guide you. And your departed doggie might help you too.My heart and prayers are with you. You were very brave to put your feelings aside to help him out. God will bless you for it.Give yourself as much time as you need to grieve. Don't listen to people who tell you to get over it. That's your baby, and you never "get over it". It does get easier. You will feel joyful again.

• You did the right thing. Your dog was sick & suffering. I've had 2 dogs that I had to put down. My 1st, a Llaso Apso mix developed Bladder Cancer. I had him for 11 yrs. & like yours, he lost control of his bladder & was deteriorating. My 2nd was a Shepard/Husky, 5 yrs old, best dog I've ever had. He developed Cancer of the Spleen. He wouldn't eat, drink & he was dying right in front of me day by day. I've grown up with dogs since I was little. The one thing that I do, unlike most people that are so upset about losing their pet, is to get another dog, because if I decide to wait because it hurts too much to loose another one,, I get one right away, within a few months or so. It makes me happy to give the love to another pup or dog & in turn gives them a good home & someone to love back.

• God bless you for doing the right thing. Of course you are miserable and cannot sleep, but that in a way only says how much you miss him. If you were not affected at all by his death, would that not surprise you? It will take time to adjust to his absence, but do not let that make you regret giving your dog the gift of moving on and away from his pain in this life. We as humans, sometimes make the mistake of holding on to our pets longer than we should, but that is our selfishness taking precedence over what is right and humane for our animals. You loved your dog enough to let him go, and it is okay to mourn the loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you...everything will be okay.