I put my dog to sleep on wednesday night and I am miserable. Did I do the right thing?

He has been sick for the past month. He has problems going to the bathroom; he would leak all over the house (no control). He also had to stay in a cage a lot because of this. His prostate was big and he would strain to go; when he was outside it…

I put my dog to sleep on wednesday night and I am miserable. Did I do the right thing?

He has been sick for the past month. He has problems going to the bathroom; he would leak all over the house (no control). He also had to stay in a cage a lot because of this. His prostate was big and he would strain to go; when he was outside it…...
    General Dog Discussions : I put my dog to sleep on wednesday night and I am miserable. Did I do the right thing?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• yes you did the right thing i know you feel awful and feel the loss i think its worse to lose an animal as its you who decides when they have to go and if he didnt enjoy playing with his toys then he had had enough my old boy used to sleep with me and when he went i missed him so much i still do after two years but after a while you will think to yourself yes i did the right thing for his sake you take care xx

• had to put my pekinese to sleep a few yrs ago. cryed for days..still miss her. you always wonder if you did the right thing but i'm sure you did..you wouldn't want an animal you love to suffer.

• I know the pain. But, yes, you did the right thing if your dog had all of these problems. Unfortunately it is better to put them to sleep than to let them suffer knowing there is no cure.

• Being a dog owner means putting the dog's well-being before your own. You did the humane thing by ending his suffering. It would have been cruel to keep him alive for your own needs. It's painful to lose a pet, but in time you'll be able to look back and remember the good things.

• I'm very sorry about your pain but you did the right thing. I held my little gold and white Beagle, Ivy, in my arms so I could be with her when she passed. She had been my baby for almost 17 years.She had always loved life, but when she became sick and could not drink even though she was thirsty, I knew she was ready to go. Even so, it nearly killed me.My best advice is: read Rainbow Bridge, don't blame yourself at all, and get a new puppy if you can. And remember to always get a rescue dog. Peace and blessings to you.

• Yes you did the right thing. He had no quality of life left and would have thanked you for putting him out of his misery. If you had the problems that he had then wouldn't you want somebody to stop your suffering. I know that you must feel bad but your beloved dog has gone to a much better place. I hope that you feel better soon.

• Awe, thats really sad. I understand I put my dog to sleep a year ago that I have had for almost 17 years. It was all sad and I felt bad you know, but we got a dog casket and a tombstone and put it in the backyard and threw flowers on it. so ..it was sweet. but you definately didn't do the wrong thing. The dog didnt need to suffer anymore.