I put my dog to sleep on wednesday night and I am miserable. Did I do the right thing?

He has been sick for the past month. He has problems going to the bathroom; he would leak all over the house (no control). He also had to stay in a cage a lot because of this. His prostate was big and he would strain to go; when he was outside it…

I put my dog to sleep on wednesday night and I am miserable. Did I do the right thing?

He has been sick for the past month. He has problems going to the bathroom; he would leak all over the house (no control). He also had to stay in a cage a lot because of this. His prostate was big and he would strain to go; when he was outside it…...
    General Dog Discussions : I put my dog to sleep on wednesday night and I am miserable. Did I do the right thing?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I put my dog to sleep on wednesday night and I am miserable. Did I do the right thing?

I put my dog to sleep on wednesday night and I am miserable. Did I do the right thing? General Dog Discussions
      He has been sick for the past month. He has problems going to the bathroom; he would leak all over the house (no control). He also had to stay in a cage a lot because of this. His prostate was big and he would strain to go; when he was outside it would take him 15 minutes to releive his bladder (it was only drips that would come out) He didn't play with his toys anymore; all he did was lay around. I could tell he didn't feel good. Last week the vet told me that he had proatate cancer. I'm so sorry that I put him to sleep. I haven't been able to sleep at night--- we used to sleep together every night.

I put my dog to sleep on wednesday night and I am miserable. Did I do the right thing? General Dog Discussions
    • yes, you did the right thing. the whole purpose of putting a dog to sleep is because the dog's quality of living is not suitable for him/her. when we put our dog to sleep i was miserable too but it made me feel better to know that he was not suffering anymore.

• I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. But you did the right thing. He was miserable and all that was ahead for him was more misery.It will take time for you to get over it, and you'll probably always miss him, but in time you will come to know in your heart that you made the right choice.

• I understand how you feel, but as someone who used to work in an animal hospital, I believe you did the right thing. Your dogs quality of life had greatly diminished and he was suffering. Euthanasia is a quick and painless death, versus the suffering he would have gone through during a natural death. I'm sure you're lonely and grieving, but you did what was best for him, and selflessly put your feelings second to his comfort. That's very admirable. Take awhile to grieve, and remember the good times, but take comfort that you did the right and compassionate thing to do for him. Maybe in awhile you can get another dog, not as a replacement, but as a new friend to care for and keep you company.

• You suffer cause you lost a good friend.On the other hand,try to focus that you did the right thing.Logically you know you did..emotionally it is hard to accept it.Your doggy will live in your heart and you will never forget him.

• yes because if he were to be liveing on earth still will his/her life would of just been about pain and misoury u did do ur dog a favor by not causing him any pain any more dont feel bad it was the right thing to do.

• I believe you did the right thing. You are probably going to feel guilty, but it seems that you should realize the dog wasn't going to get any better. I understand how you feel, and I am so sorry, but be happy for the time you did have with your wonderful pet. Dogs are wonderful and forgiving, and they never complain like we do. Your dog loved you, I am certain, and would probably appreciate your decision if he could. Rest well and in peace.

• Letting go of a pet is one of the most challenging things that an animal lover will ever have to go through. But your case is especially hard with having to make a decision to end your time together.In my opinion, and I would venture to say in the opinion of most people, you did the absolute right thing. Keeping an animal who is in obvious pain alive is cruel and selfish on the owner's part. By putting your dog to sleep you ended his suffering and allowed him to pass away with dignity.I know that this is a very painful and difficult time for you, but rest assured that you did the right, humane, loving thing to do. Take care and keep faith.

• You did the kindest thing for your beloved Friend. It is one of the hardest decisions to make but you have eased your pets suffering and left him his dignity. I went thru this recently as well and in your mind you know you did the right thing but your heart argues. You gave your best friend the best gift of all love and peace. God Bless!!

• yes u did the right thing u made his pain go away if u wouldent have he would still be in pain when u try to go to sleep just remember he loves u for wut u did and u realived him

• u did the right thing now he wont have to suffer any more maybe even get a new dog to sleep with try sleeping with a stuffed animal if u still cant sleep best wishes:)

• You did the right thing.I know how you feel. I have to put my dog of 13 years to sleep last year. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. You will miss him. Just try to think of all the good times you had with him. You will have to take it a day at a time. Love is letting go. I know it hurts. You would not want him to suffer. His quality of life was going down hill. The sad part is they can't tell you if they are hurting or not. He had to be hurting. I had always said I would not let a dog of mind suffer. That is being selfish. I did not think I would want a new dog. I brought a bassett hound. He does not take the place of old catfish but I love him as much now. It heals a heart to have a new friend.

• May I go nowDon't you think the time is right?May I say good-bye to pain-filled daysand endless lonely nights?I've lived my life and done my best,an example tried to be,So can I take that step beyondand set my spirit free?I didn't want to go at first.I fought with all my might!But something seems to draw me nowto a warm and loving light.I want to go! I really do!It's difficult to stay.But I will try as best I canto live just one more day .To give you time to care for meand share your love and fears.I know you're sad and are afraidbecause I see your tears.I'll not be far, I promise that,and hope you'll always knowthat my spirit will be close to youwherever you may go.Thank you so for loving me.You know I loved you too.That's why it's hard to say good-byeand end this life with you.So hold me now, just one more time,and let me hear you say,because you care so much for me,you'll let me go today.

• Yes, you definitely did the right thing. I had a doberman once. As he became older, he developed a severe case of arthritis. We didn't want to put him down, so we tried some pain reliever. It seemed to help, but I still can't help but think that he suffered a lot before he died. Now I wish I had put him down. Your dog didn't have to suffer because of what you did. You did the best thing that you could do.

• You did the right by giving your dog relief from the pain.I had to put my Scottie to sleep I had him for 12 years.I was so lonely for a while but then a few months later I was given a 1 year old golden retriever and I love her very much and she fills in the gap and more. I will never forget my Scottie he was one of a kind. Every dog just like every human has their own personality that is unique.