How do I get my male cat to stop spraying?

My cat has been fixed since he was a kitten but, he sprays all over the house. How can I make him stop? Is there a procedure a vet can perform to make it stop?

My cat has been fixed since he was a kitten but, he sprays all over the house. How can I make him stop? Is there a procedure a vet can perform to make it stop?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my male cat to stop spraying?...

• How do I get my male cat to stop spraying?

How do I get my male cat to stop spraying? Other Pet Discussions
      My cat has been fixed since he was a kitten but, he sprays all over the house. How can I make him stop? Is there a procedure a vet can perform to make it stop?

How do I get my male cat to stop spraying? Other Pet Discussions
    • If he was really neutered, then you should take him to the vet and have him checked out ~ there might be something wrong with him chemically ~ like hormones or something.My cat was fixed and he stopped spraying, but then he suffered from a hormone imbalance and would get little scabs on his skin and spray ~ so the vet put him on some pills and that balanced everything out and he only had to be on the pills during an outbreak. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the pills.

• I would make sure you are keeping the litter box extremely clean. Cats are very clean and very particular. This includes the area around the box etc. If he is spraying in one room in particular, maybe add a second litter box in there to balance things out. But I would also take the cat to the vet. There may be a reason, but I think the vet is going to suggest some of those things to you to try. I know that my vet did. Good luck!

• I had a male cat who was neutered and would also spray on occasion. The vet wasn't concerned about it, but I was. He was an indoor cat and it was a pain to constantly clean up after him. After we started observing him, we discovered that he was most active when other cats would be snooping outside of our windows and doors. Apparently, he was marking his territory anyway-neutered or not. The cats outdoors were spraying our house. We got some spray from the pet store (can't remember name) and sprayed outside around the windows and this seemed to curb the behavior, but he still sprayed once in a while. Good luck.

• was he fixed too young? (under 4 months there are sometimes complications resulting in this behavior)has he been checked for bladder infection?is he on good food? (high calcium and high magnesium can contribute to bladder problems causeing this) no milk!!!!is he stressed or are their other cats around making him upset? you can get anti-stress pills for him but it will change his behavior....keep him indoors more if you think its other neighbour hood cats upsetting him.... in fact keep him in a small room for a week or 2 with the litter box, while you clean the urine odors from your house thoroughly (with pet urine odor remover) then take a blanket that he sleeps on and rub his smell from the blanket onto areas he frequently urinated - this puts his smell there so he wont be stressed

• Neutering will eliminate one reason for male spraying (sexual drive), but cats-- both male and female-- can spray even if they're "fixed".Cats spray as one way of marking territory. Cats also use other methods to mark things. When cats scratch, for instance, they leave behind a scent mark from scent glands in their feet. This kind of mark says, "I was here". It's like you or I signing a guest book or writing our name on a wall... kind of like cat graffiti. Cats also mark familiar objects and people in their teritory by rubbing their faces on it. This mark says, "This is okay-- it has my seal of approval." There are scent glands near the whiskers, and when a cat rubs its face on you, he's marking you with a "stamp" that says you're okay! This is an affectionate gesture when done to a person or another animal in the household. When a cat sprays, he or she is saying, "This is MY territory-- all others, GO AWAY!". Of course, they can also say, "I'm available for 'services'; call me!", but if the cat is neutered before maturity, those hormones are no longer there and the cat probably won't send this message. But neutered cats can still say "GO AWAY!" through urinary marking.I have a female cat who was spayed very young, and she still sprays when she is outside. Yes, urine still comes out. It's not much, but it's just enough to get her message out. I've caught her in the act and have seen the wetness left behind. I've had other spayed females that have done this also.Now, having said that-- is there anything new around your house that might be stressing your boy... new pets, new baby, other cats outside, new schedule, anything? Cats may spray when they are stressed.Barring that, are you ABSOLUTELY sure he's spraying, and not just urinating in places where he shouldn't? There IS a difference. When a cat sprays, s/he typically targets a vertical surface like a wall or door jamb. The cat is usually standing, tail up. As the cat sprays, s/he usually quivers the tail and moves the back feet as if marching in place. Then the urine is sprayed onto the surface in a pattern similar to squirting a spritz of Windex onto a window. There is usually just a small amount. In cases of inappropriate urination, the cat targets a horizontal surface like the floor, your bed, the laundry basket... The amount may be greater than what is produced in spraying, but not always especially if the cat is urinating frequently. This behavior MIGHT signal a urinary infection, which can quickly become a very serious problem, so it's very important to note the difference. If the vet rules out an infection, check the cat's environment. Is the litter box (or boxes) in a place where the cat can easily get to it, and where he feels safe using it? Cats feel vulnerable when using the box, and if he doesn't feel "safe" or like he has some privacy, he might avoid the box. How about the type of litter? Many cats are particular about that. Many cats despise scented litters, and many have distinct preferences about the texture. Some cats, for instance, prefer the finer textures of clumping litter, others like the coarser feel of traditional litter. Some cats are very fussy about the cleanliness of their facilities. What seems "clean enough" to us might be the equivalent of a nasty gas-station crapper to him. Or, if you're using a covered loo and he prefers open facilities-- he may protest that (or vice versa).There are many things to consider here, but be sure of what he's doing and try these tips.Good luck!

• First, get him checked by a vet. Second, clean all the urine in the house using a product designed to kill the smell. The cat may continue to mark if he smells the urine. Also, check out a product called Feliway. I have not personally used this, but my vet tells me that it works wonders calming nervous and agressive cats, and it is also recommended for problems such as yours.

• I have a cat that is 6 yrs old, we had him neutered at 6 mo. he has never once sprayed anything, guess we are just lucky. I do know that when a cat sprays though, it is a very strong odor, and very hard to get rid of the odor once it is there