What kind of food can I get for my allergic cat?

My cat is allergic to beef, rice, wheat and chicken. The cat food given by the vet which is venison, my cat refuses to eat. Is there a good brand of cat food that does not have these ingredients?

My cat is allergic to beef, rice, wheat and chicken. The cat food given by the vet which is venison, my cat refuses to eat. Is there a good brand of cat food that does not have these ingredients?...
    Other Pet Discussions : What kind of food can I get for my allergic cat?...

• What kind of food can I get for my allergic cat?

What kind of food can I get for my allergic cat? Other Pet Discussions
      My cat is allergic to beef, rice, wheat and chicken. The cat food given by the vet which is venison, my cat refuses to eat. Is there a good brand of cat food that does not have these ingredients?

What kind of food can I get for my allergic cat? Other Pet Discussions
    • Ask your vet about lamb. Lamb is an excellent food for dogs with food allergies but i do not know if its something cats would like. You would have to check out the ingredients on any type of food you buy to make sure the food does not have any of the ingredients its allergic to , but I am sure your local vet would have some type of food , canned or dry, that would work for your cat--if he doesnt carry one, he would know of a brand that would work more than likely.

• Here is the answer given to exactly the same question and it is a good answer:http://cats.about.com/od/catfoodfaqs/f/allergyfood.htm"Limited ingredients" cat foods were developed to help cats with food allergies. They are generally used for three purposes:For purposes of eliminating allergens to discover which ingredients cats are actually allergic to. As a long-term diet for cats with IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) As a long-term diet for cats with food allergies The brand with which I'm most familiar, because one of my own cats has eaten it, is IVD (Innovative Veterinary Diet), manufactured by Royal Canin. IVD foods contain a single protein source (duck, lamb, venison, rabbit) and a single carbohydrate source (whole green peas and green pea fibre). These foods are also supplemented with "Omega 6 and 3 EFAs to provide the optimum in anti-inflammatory effects these nutrients can provide," according to the manufacturer. If your veterinarian does not stock these other products, they can be ordered, but only by prescription. IVD Limited Ingredient Diet Feline Duck & Green Peas Formula IVD Limited Ingredient Diet Feline Venison & Green Peas Formula IVD Limited Ingredient Diet Feline Lamb & Green Peas Formula Nature's Variety also makes a number of canned cat foods that contain none of the ingredients you mentioned. Nature's Variety also makes several dry cat foods, although some of them contain rice, which is an allergen for some cats. Hopefully, your cat will find one of more of these foods palatable, and he will be on the road to good health soon.

• Your cat will eat when it's hungry. Unfortunately, cats with food allergies have very little to choose from. You want something with limited ingredients, like the venison formula the vet has. Problem is, the veterinary formulas they carry at the vet's office aren't as high quality as they'd like you to think. The only training that vet's receive about pet nutrition usually comes from the food vendors that are selling them the food they carry. My cat has food allergies, so I haven't been able to put him on a raw food diet, or a high quality dry food like I want. But I did find one limited ingredient diet that works well and has healthier ingredients than the veterinary formulas. Better ingredients means healthier cat. It's called Natural Balance, the allergy food is Venison and Green Pea. http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/products/VenCat.htmlVenison is the most commonly used meat in food allergy diets because cats haven't been exposed to it. One thing you really need to know about food allergies is that you need to pick a food and stick with it. No changing his diet or switching foods on him every so often, trying to find a better food. The more you change foods on a food allergic cat, the worse they're going to get. The more types of food and ingredients you expose your cat to, the more likely he is to develop allergies to those foods as well. Pick something, stick with it. If your cat is finnicky, don't give him the option to eat anything else. That's his food, and when he gets hungry enough, he'll give up being stubborn and eat. Usually it takes about 6 weeks for you to really start seeing results from the new diet. Also, cats with food allergies often have airborne allergies as well, so the occasional visit to the vet for an allergy shot will help with the itching and reaction to airborne allergies. Also, you can give your cat benadryl if the itching is particularly bad. Make sure it is the antihistamine only. This one...http://www.benadrylusa.com/benadryl.asp?sec=3&page=42&from=32You can give your cat half of the powder from inside the caplet. Unfortunately, it's kind of hard to give it to them because it tastes terrible. But talk to your vet about using it on particularly bad days. Once the food starts working, you probably won't need it anymore.

• Fish sounds about right, but if you are feeding canned food, check the labels before you buy as most contain cereal, which is usually rice or wheat. My cats wont touch venison or beef, so I have a deal with the local fish-shop where I can buy tailpieces etc. and mis-shapes, which I cook in a steamer- theres never any left!! Also, the very cheap tinned tuna from the supermarket goes down well. Good luck, and thank you for persevering instead of just dumping the poor animal- bless you.

• Wellness makes a salmon food that your cat may like. You can get Wellness a pet shops. They have several formulas. One of my dogs has a laundry list of food allergies, so I know what you are going through. She turned her nose up at the $30 duck & potato food.