What is side effect of getting your dog neutered?

I have a 6 month old Chihuahua. I really did not want to get him neutered, but I do not want him having any puppies. Anyway, im getting him neutered and I wanted to know if there is any side effects??

I have a 6 month old Chihuahua. I really did not want to get him neutered, but I do not want him having any puppies. Anyway, im getting him neutered and I wanted to know if there is any side effects??...
    General Dog Discussions : What is side effect of getting your dog neutered?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is side effect of getting your dog neutered?

What is side effect of getting your dog neutered? General Dog Discussions
      I have a 6 month old Chihuahua. I really did not want to get him neutered, but I do not want him having any puppies. Anyway, im getting him neutered and I wanted to know if there is any side effects??

What is side effect of getting your dog neutered? General Dog Discussions
    • He will probably come home the same day. He will be a fine house dog after you have this done. He won't feel inclined to lift his leg on your furniture to pee. The list is endless of how much better a dog he will be. He should come through the surgery just fine, but there is a certain percentage of dogs who do die under anesthisia.

• It is ENTIRELY possible to own an intact male dog and it not ever sire puppies.I know that seems shocking, but it is not rocket science. I have had many intact male dogs and none of them ever sired a litter.I have many friends with intact male dogs and its the same for them.IF you care about your dog then you need to research.There is NO MEDICAL BENEFIT to EVER neutering a male dog.There are LONG TERM HEALTH RISKS- including CAUSING CANCER.This is all PROVEN by MEDICAL RESEARCH done by Veterinarians.Read and learn............This is a summary of the link provided in the first answer.--------------------Summary of health affects of spay/neuterThe full version of the paper summarized below, complete with all references to the veterinary medical research cited, is available. This paper reports some of the adverse behavioral impacts of early spay/neuter.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------An objective reading of the veterinary medical literature reveals a complex situation with respect to the long-term health impacts of spay/neuter in dogs. The evidence shows that spay/neuter correlates with both positive and adverse health effects in dogs. It also suggests how much we really do not yet understand about this subject.*****READ THIS PARAGRAPH******On balance, it appears that no compelling case can be made for neutering most male dogs, especially immature male dogs, in order to prevent future health problems. The number of health problems associated with neutering may exceed the associated health benefits in most cases.On the negative side, neutering male dogsif done before maturity, increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer) by a factor of 3.8; this is a common cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis increases the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6; this is a common cancer and major cause of death in some breeds triples the risk of hypothyroidism increases the risk of geriatric cognitive impairment triples the risk of obesity, and with it many of the associated health problems quadruples the small risk (<0.6%) of prostate cancer doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract cancers increases the risk of orthopedic disorders increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations On the positive side, neutering male dogseliminates the small risk (probably <1%) of dying from testicular cancer reduces the risk of non-cancerous prostate disorders reduces the risk of perianal fistulas may possibly reduce the risk of diabetes (data inconclusive) For female dogs, the situation is more complex. The number of health benefits associated with spaying may exceed the associated health problems in some (not all) cases. On balance, whether spaying improves the odds of overall good health or degrades them probably depends on the age of the female dog and the relative risk of various diseases in the different breeds.On the positive side, spaying female dogsif done before 2.5 years of age, greatly reduces the risk of mammary tumors, the most common tumors in female dogs nearly eliminates the risk of pyometra, which otherwise would infect about 23% of intact female dogs; pyometra kills about 1% of intact female dogs reduces the risk of perianal fistulas removes the very small risk (<0.5%) from uterine, cervical, and ovarian tumors On the negative side, spaying female dogsif done before maturity, increases the risk of osteosarcoma by a factor of 3.1; this is a common cancer in larger breeds with a poor prognosis increases the risk of splenic hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 2.2 and cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of more than 5; this is a common cancer and major cause of death in some breeds triples the risk of hypothyroidism increases the risk of obesity by a factor of 1.6 – 2, and with it the many associated health problems causes urinary spay incontinence in 4-20% of female dogs increases the risk of persistent or recurring urinary tract infections by a factor of 3-4 increases the risk of recessed vulva, vaginal dermatitis, and vaginitis, especially for female dogs spayed before puberty doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract tumors increases the risk of orthopedic disorders increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations One thing is clear—much of the spay/neuter information that is available to the public is unbalanced and contains claims that are exaggerated or unsupported by evidence. Rather than helping to educate pet owners, much of this has contributed to common misunderstandings about the long-term health impacts of spay/neuter in dogs.The traditional spay/neuter age of six months as well as the modern practice of pediatric spay/neuter appear to predispose dogs to health risks that could otherwise be avoided by waiting until the dog is physically mature, or (perhaps in the case of many male d

• Never knew a male Chi who didn't mark everywhere when he matured, so contrary to some opinions, I would neuter right now. It is much more difficult to train out male behaviors after the fact.

• Hi,The dog might be a tad nauseated and turn away from food with a theatrical flourish for the first day or two. No need to be an overbearing parent and force your dog to eat. He'll be fine even if he misses a few meals. fter neutering, a puppy's scrotum will flatten as he grows, and you won't notice it. Adults will always have a flap of skin from the empty scrotum. Here's more info:http://osorae.notlong.com