What do you feel is the smartest breed of dog and the dumbest breed?

I've been told that a border collie is the smartest breed and that an afghan hound is the dumbest.

I've been told that a border collie is the smartest breed and that an afghan hound is the dumbest....
    Other Pet Discussions : What do you feel is the smartest breed of dog and the dumbest breed?...

• What do you feel is the smartest breed of dog and the dumbest breed?

What do you feel is the smartest breed of dog and the dumbest breed? Other Pet Discussions
      I've been told that a border collie is the smartest breed and that an afghan hound is the dumbest.

What do you feel is the smartest breed of dog and the dumbest breed? Other Pet Discussions
    • Border collies are pretty smart, you're right. I don't know about afghans being the dumbest, pit bulls are pretty dumb in a goofy, dorky sort of way (if you don't train them to be mean).

• I have always thought that the German Shepard was the smartest dog - but I am biased having been an owner of several of them that were so bright and wonderful dogs.But yes, you are absolutely right, the Border Collie is the smartest and Afghan hound is ranked 79, or last, on the list based upon a dog trainer's survey at the following link:http://www.petrix.com/dogint/intelligence.html

• I deal with all types of breeds. I own a pet sitting business. I wouldn't say any breed is "dumb". A lot of our perceptions about intelligence come from lack of training on the owner's part. My personal favorite breed are Boxers. However, they are not a breed for just anyone. I strongly encourage anyone who is about to get a Purebred dog to conduct a research about it and it's characteristics first!