What kind of dog is best to be around young children?

My children are two and four, and I was wondering if i should get them a dog. Are they still too young? If not, what breed is good with small kids?

My children are two and four, and I was wondering if i should get them a dog. Are they still too young? If not, what breed is good with small kids?...
    Other Pet Discussions : What kind of dog is best to be around young children?...

• What kind of dog is best to be around young children?

What kind of dog is best to be around young children? Other Pet Discussions
      My children are two and four, and I was wondering if i should get them a dog. Are they still too young? If not, what breed is good with small kids?

What kind of dog is best to be around young children? Other Pet Discussions
    • A good ole Heinz 57 from your local shelter. Shelter dogs are thoroughly checked out and the staff can tell you which ones are good with kids. Good Luck on adopting a pet for your children!

• Depends on the size of dog you are loking for.IMHO, if you have the option to have a large breed dog (and the yard for it as well), I would say a Mastiff. Incredibly loving and tolerant with kids, though they tend not to know their own size when it comes to furniture. Also great protection dogs for the house.Of the smaller breeds, if you can take the occasional howl, I like Beagles.Many people go with the standard Retrievers... but in my experience, I have never seen one all that great with kidsBTW... I have 2 kids and 2 dogs... the dogs are a purebred Beagle, and a Beagle/Chow mix

• cocker spaniels-I have two kids and they sit on him and everything and he just looks at them,cocker spaniels are rather jumpy though and can knock over a small child if not properly trained.