Feeding dogs human grade meat and organic meat?

Has anyone observed how these types of meats are more beneficial to dogs when compared to the 'not for human consumption, waste meat'?Do people feed organic on the premise that it is apparently better for humans to eat organic meat than regular meat and…

Has anyone observed how these types of meats are more beneficial to dogs when compared to the 'not for human consumption, waste meat'?Do people feed organic on the premise that it is apparently better for humans to eat organic meat than regular meat and…...
    General Dog Discussions : Feeding dogs human grade meat and organic meat?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Feeding dogs human grade meat and organic meat?

Feeding dogs human grade meat and organic meat? General Dog Discussions
      Has anyone observed how these types of meats are more beneficial to dogs when compared to the 'not for human consumption, waste meat'?Do people feed organic on the premise that it is apparently better for humans to eat organic meat than regular meat and therefore must be the same for the dog?If you are someone who feeds their dog human grade or organic meat, do you follow the same philosophy in your own diet? If not then i am curious as to why?

Feeding dogs human grade meat and organic meat? General Dog Discussions
    • I don't feed organic, but there are a lot of high grade pet food stores who sell it and have very knowledgeable staff. Call them and ask. I'm sure they can explain the benefits of an organic dog diet.

• Dogs should get DOG FOOD... why there is a thing such as dog food. There are a lot of organic dog foods now. You can get Blue Buffalo that uses real chicken meat, use soft dog food. Or you can ask how to prepare your dogs food. But it needs to be made a special way so it gets all the nutrients it needs.

• I feed my dogs Raw Prey Model. They primarily get humanely raised meat. Much of it is organic. (Some of it's road kill...) I feed humanely raised and organic because I am concerned for the welfare of the animals that are fed, as well as the dogs general health. I don't eat meat, but if I did, it would be local, free range, organic. Again, because of the way the animals are cared for, as well as the impact of pesticides/hormones/medications on the consumer and the environment.

• Most people who eat organic products do so to avoid the pesticides, antibiotics and hormones that are routinely added to food.I dont eat organic food, but my mother does because she has an allergic reaction to the additives.I am sure that some dogs would also have a problem with them. Mine dont.I used to feed a kibble that uses human grade meat, and I did that because of all the recalls....that particular food has never been recalled.At this point I just feed the least expensive, best ingredient kibble I can find.

• I probably feed my dog better than I feed myself ... LOL... but overall we probably eat pretty much the same, although I eat junk food (cookies, chips, etc) that I wouldn't give to my dog.While I do attempt to eat healthy, I buy myself regular store-bought meats that have passed as fit for human consumption. I don't spend the extra for organic.My dog gets good quality dry dog food that is made with human-grade meat and quality grains (not cheap/crappy filler grains).I do not buy organic vegetables and fruits, and I am willing to share some of my fruits & vegetables with my dog as well -- so long as they are safe for him to eat.

• I'm not sure what you mean by "organic meat". Animals, unlike crops, are not directly exposed to pesticides however in the food chain, yes, cattle most likely are being fed GMO's (genetically modified organisms) which are actually grown by farmers to be resistant to pesticide (thanks to Monsanto... )Most cattle are also given hormones, some are fed dead cows. (see attached link ). Poultry are given antibioitics, fish are filled with mercury. The list is endless.If organic cattle exist, I am not aware of them. Maybe someone here can tell me - and also define what exactly an organic cow is. So, to answer your question: I feed my dogs raw soup bones which are likely derived from the above - these are human grade bones which I buy in the grocery store. They probably glow in the dark (smirk)I don't feed them organ meat (kidney, liver, heart) because the toxins from all these chemicals fed to cattle are concentrated in the organs - why make it worse. Its like supersizing hormones in a can - that, and the fact the mere look of these organs makes me ill. Myself - I am a vegetarian for the most part - have been for over 20 years. I say the most part because I have had to deviate in the last few years after developing intolerances to soy, lentils, peas, corn (which btw, are the main GMO crops - so much for eating a vegetable when they cross it with a fish...). Still cannot tolerate meat, but I eat the occassional bit of chicken. Eggs are my main protein source.Long way of saying - I don't model my diet after my dogs or vice versa because I'm not a dog. I do however feed my dogs human top grade whole foods in addition to their premium kibble because I can afford to - its admittedly getting expensive.If I could buy meat knowing it was raised on a farm that did not use GMO's and did not use any hormones or other chemicals - I would. My sense is "organic" is one of those words that has for the most part become ad speak on labels - we can than the FDA and Canadian food and drug association for that. (conspiracy theory is another topic)@Dogzzz: (Pitcairn) does state the highest toxicity to dogs from food is in cow bones - lead poisoning primarily the issue. In addition to that, I have attached a link. It is a bit too complicated for my brain to decipher - but I interpret it to state poisoning (from their stated sources) shows up in the kidney, tongue, stomach and intestine of cattle and equine. I guess the $64 question is exactly how safe is organ meat - and how do you know the ofal you purchase is not precancerous or filled with other bugaboos?My understanding of illness is that the kidneys and liver as well as spleen and other major organs become enlarged when the toxic burden increases and this is the precursor to cancer. Yes, its true that a healthy kidney will filter toxins - but an overloaded system cannot. Cows (for example) are fed all these hormones and fillers to fatten them along with pesticide based crops - their bodies have to filter that. I simply cannot believe they are able to. Its the same in people - men get enlarged prostates - which lead to prostate cancer. Cattle fed hormones and crops riddled with pesticide have to contend with it -I don't deny pet food uses this crap - my point is they cook it to kill those pathogens. Raw is a la carte. I will appreciate any information from a reliable source that contradicts me (ie an independant source other than a raw food proponent)The "prey" model is based on an assumption that the organ meat we purchase for our dogs is the same as what a wolf would get in the wild. Well, wild deer, moose, rabbits are not fed hormones like domestic livestock -yes, they get their share of pollution like the rest of us, but in my view there is no comparison. Unless you are out killing it in the wild and feeding the guts to your dog - in which case, you are THE dog owner of the year!http://books.google.ca/books?id=NgMX__L3q40C&pg=PA172&lpg=PA172&dq=are+the+liver+and+kidneys+of+cattle+high+in+toxins&source=bl&ots=wqAC4k_l59&sig=kBpb2ESDuT6I4Hpw5NIs7lIvl8w&hl=en&ei=Z7tiTc_5K8P48Abdm-jwCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CD0Q6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=are%20the%20liver%20and%20kidneys%20of%20cattle%20high%20in%20toxins&f=false**********************************************Add: Go to page 170 of the linked book on animal diseases - refer to the paragraph headed "Pesticides". It states cattle, sheep, swine, horses, poultry and dogs are exposed, and the lungs are most affected, followed by kidney and liver.(I cannot paste the text so you have to read it). Its seems obvious to me that feeding raw ofal to a dog is like serving up herbicide stew. <bleck> I'll take my chances with raw hamburger and soup bones.

• Me and my puppy both eat organic chicken. Other meats we eat aren't organic, but occasionally my mom buys organic. Due to my puppy eating "people food" I've been advised to give her vitamins, which I am going to bring up at her vet visit. Basically if I will eat it, she can eat it (referring to just meat, not all things I eat).

• Some of what is considered not for human consumption is GREAT dog food! Green tripe (stomach) may not be sold for human consumption... lungs, spleen, trachea and gullet... lots of parts are wonderful food, and not considered fit for humans.I feed naturally raised meat, for the most part. Much of it has been locally raised for pet food. This does not meet the criteria to be sold as organic (organic meat must come from animals fed organically, themselves, among other things). Organic foods must be certified, and that process is expensive... the cost gets passed along in the product, which is part of what makes organic products so expensive.I try to stick to organic fruits and veggies, as much as I can. This only makes up a small part of my dog's diet, but I try to avoid the pesticides, etc. that are routinely added to these foods.I am not fanatical about labeling, but try to do the best I can.I eat crap. I eat frozen dinners. My dog eats well, better than I. I am an idiot...For whoever said something about not feeding organs due to toxins: the organs which filter toxins from the body collect toxins to be excreted, they do not store toxins. Liver and kidney are perfectly fine to feed (necessary if you're feeding raw), but should not be fed in large quantities due to their high fat soluble vitamin content.

• Animals bred for meat that aren't pumped full of drugs, hormones or chemicals - organic - is prohibitively expensive, so I eat normal human grade meat because that is what I can reasonably afford.My dogs are fed Taste of the Wild kibble in the evening & rotate the meat & organs from the butcher in the morning.The whole process of purchasing meat has become sanitized so people do not connect the dead meat in a wrapper to the living breathing animal raised to feed them. My dog is taken out to areas where there is an abundance of wild rabbit, & if he bags a free meal which he eats from nose to bob tail so much the better as it saves me money. When I walked Jay home on one occasion he had a rabbit leg hanging out of his mouth & there was more than a few raised eyebrows from adults & a small group of children acted as if he had personally dispatched Thumper to his maker......

• I raw feed, and sometimes my dogs get organic if its going really cheap (close to use by date).I try to eat it myself whenever possible too, but the extra expense is sometimes an issue.As Da Bassett said - If I buy it for me and it gets a bit old or freezer burned, is usually when it ends up as dog food! I love that no meat is ever wasted in my house.I cannot say that I have noticed a difference in my animals, though (between feeding organic or non organic). I guess I would have to do a more permenant long term change for anything to be apparent.@ Chix - I only read your first 3 paragraphs (sorry at work & shouldn't be online at all lol).However, to answer your question about "organic meat"...Meat most certainly CAN contain pestacides etc.Sprays/poisons are used regularly on most pasture to control all kinds of weeds and as fertilisers.Almost everyone sprays every year for broad leaf etc if they carry livestock on pasture.There are all kinds of withholding periods depending on the toxicity of the poisons used, but make no mistake - if they are grazing on it after spraying... chances are we are eating some too. Sometimes farmers will put cattle or sheep on very shortly after spraying (days and sometimes immediately after).If you DO spray - you cannot label your meat organic.Obviously.Of course it is far more involved than this - There is also "yonies" (sp?) meat etc.What I am mentioning is only the very basic facts as I know them.Carrying capacity can be reduced if you dont spray (fertilisers and weed poison). You have to be much more careful about "head per hectare ratios", due to the fact that overgrazing directly causes increase in weeds etc (if you cant poison them, control is more difficult).Most meat therefore is NOT organic, as farmers can produce more animals with poisions etc to help manage the land.If you DO raise organic certified meat - Then you get quite a bit more per kilo, simply because it is much harder to manage and raise.EDIT:Knowing what I know and see with my own eyes (I live in one of the prime beef raising areas of Australia)... If I could afford it - I WOULD always eat and buy organic, for both me and my dogs/cats etc.Maybe if I win lotto...